Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #61  
(I don't think I've ever seen plastic well pipe (poly or PVC) rated for 500 psi)

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #62  
(I don't think I've ever seen plastic well pipe (poly or PVC) rated for 500 psi)
Some schedule 80 3/4" PVC Pipe is rated at 690psi. (e.g. McMaster-Carr)
schedule 120 gets you to 390psi in 3/4"
and then there is schedule 160...

I think the phrase is "if you build it, they will come..."

I would point out that 500psi of water translates to 1150+ feet of height/depth.

All the best, Peter

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #63  
Some schedule 80 3/4" PVC Pipe is rated at 690psi. (e.g. McMaster-Carr)
schedule 120 gets you to 390psi in 3/4"
and then there is schedule 160...

I think the phrase is "if you build it, they will come..."

I would point out that 500psi of water translates to 1150+ feet of height/depth.

All the best, Peter
Ok, who sets pumps on 3/4" or uses it in the trench?
Around here (can't speak for everywhere) we use polyethalene in the trench. Best Ive seen is 250 psi. Last I read, poly pipe is pressure rated for twice the pressure rating for 100,000 hours, expect a 50% failure rate.
We just set a pump to 1,400', I understand pressure.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown
OP here, as I posted in my other thread, pump was pulled and there was an oval hole in the galvanized steel drop pipe, just above the pump. I think this caused the sudden change in water clarity. Mystery solved.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #65  
OP here, as I posted in my other thread, pump was pulled and there was an oval hole in the galvanized steel drop pipe, just above the pump. I think this caused the sudden change in water clarity. Mystery solved.
Glad you got it working. Just FYI that hole above the pump was caused by electrolysis from two dissimilar metals being close together. About 10 cents worth of electric tape over the check valve and up the pipe a foot or two would have prevented that from happening. The plastic pipe will also prevent it, but now you have to use double jacketed wire and eliminate cycling to prevent chaffing the wire.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown
Glad you got it working. Just FYI that hole above the pump was caused by electrolysis from two dissimilar metals being close together. About 10 cents worth of electric tape over the check valve and up the pipe a foot or two would have prevented that from happening. The plastic pipe will also prevent it, but now you have to use double jacketed wire and eliminate cycling to prevent chaffing the wire.
Well the last iteration lasted 27 years. In 27 more years, I'll be pushing up daisies.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #67  
Agree with the electrical tape. We pull pumps out that the pipe is rotted out, except under the tape, looks like brand new.
I think you said they installed the pump on PVC, I wouldn't worry about broken wires, the pvc doesn't move much.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #68  
I will probably be pushing up daisies in 27 years myself. But if not or until then I don't want to have to be pulling up my well pump. Pumps are not made as good as they were 27 years ago. Eliminating the cycling is the best way to make these cheaper built pumps last. Eliminating the cycling also helps with other things like chaffing the wire. It doesn't take much movement. There may not be MUCH movement from plastic pipe due the cycling of the pump, but the number of times it moves from cycling can still chafe the wire. A little bit of movement done thousands of times is the problem.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #69  
I tell my customers nearly every component of the system has a life expectancy based on the number of on/off cycles. Motors, switches, tanks....

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #70  
I tell my customers nearly every component of the system has a life expectancy based on the number of on/off cycles. Motors, switches, tanks....
Exactly!!! That is why a Cycle Stop Valve is the most important part of a long lasting pump system.