Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #1  

Marks481

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 422 (2005)
I have lived here six years, and this is the first opportunity I have had to use my snow blade since I got here. Previously, I lived in VA and CT, and had plenty of chances.

8" of snow, with another 11" forecast over the next 3 days. I figured I better get busy.

Started out with my patented engine start process; was worried since I hadn't used my PT422 for months, and the garage was about 30F.
1. Battery charger on the battery for 24 hours
2. 5600W space heater blowing heat into the back of the engine compartment for a few hours
3. Pulled the spark plugs, and roasted the tips with a propane torch.
Baby fired right up, didn't even sputter.

Some greasing of my sadly neglected plow, one gage wheel was frozen in place. And then started plowing. And then stopped, since I was slipping all over the place. The PT422 doesn't have enough clearance between the wheels and the frame for chains, so I reversed my wheels (yeah, yeah, I know the risk) and put on chains. I was kicking myself that I hadn't machined spacers for the wheels.... It was on my to-do list, and now I have all the machinery I need... but, you know, 6 years with no snow....

1/2 a mile of plowing later, and I am done.

591024d1549767420-western-washington-snow-storm-first-img_0255-jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 595
   / Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #2  
Sure is pretty! Enjoy the snow while you have it!

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #3  
Your posted picture is somewhere in the Seattle area? The populace must be stark raving mad by now. Zombie apocalypse. Thermonuclear melt down. I've went to college there - "U" - saw what it was like after 1" of snow stuck. NO WAY do I want to get anywhere near Seattle with that much snow.

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #4  
Looks like it must be a surrounding area, Seattle proper is mostly apartment and office buildings these days. Very, very few semi rural areas.

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #5  
Here in Port Orchard we have roughly 6". Wonder what Dragoneggs has out there at Seabeck, they always get more. By afternoon the roads were cleared pretty well, had to go to Lowes for materials for my bathroom project, no problem. As there was a melt this PM it will be ice tomorrow. Church put out a snow day message so home tomorrow morning.

Ron

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #6  
I have lived here six years, and this is the first opportunity I have had to use my snow blade since I got here. Previously, I lived in VA and CT, and had plenty of chances.

8" of snow, with another 11" forecast over the next 3 days. I figured I better get busy.

Started out with my patented engine start process; was worried since I hadn't used my PT422 for months, and the garage was about 30F.
1. Battery charger on the battery for 24 hours
2. 5600W space heater blowing heat into the back of the engine compartment for a few hours
3. Pulled the spark plugs, and roasted the tips with a propane torch.
Baby fired right up, didn't even sputter.

Some greasing of my sadly neglected plow, one gage wheel was frozen in place. And then started plowing. And then stopped, since I was slipping all over the place. The PT422 doesn't have enough clearance between the wheels and the frame for chains, so I reversed my wheels (yeah, yeah, I know the risk) and put on chains. I was kicking myself that I hadn't machined spacers for the wheels.... It was on my to-do list, and now I have all the machinery I need... but, you know, 6 years with no snow....

1/2 a mile of plowing later, and I am done.

591024d1549767420-western-washington-snow-storm-first-img_0255-jpg

Nice job on the adaptation to circumstances. :thumbsup:

Yes, the casters will freeze with infrequent use. I have learned to grease them, even unused ones, at the same time I do my 8hr grease on the running machine. So that's about 5-6 times a year. Also give them a spin if you can. I've got them on the plow, brush cutter, and mower deck. The plow sits for 8 months at a time, so it can easily rust up if I don't.

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #7  
You know that is a really nice picture. What i would like to see is what power-trac owners have to plow out of. No john deere or kubota
or any other brand. There is another forum for them. How is the PT working for you? Maybe posts some pics. I don't have any now but when snow arrives again i will if this takes off.

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #8  
You know that is a really nice picture. What i would like to see is what power-trac owners have to plow out of. No john deere or kubota
or any other brand. There is another forum for them. How is the PT working for you? Maybe posts some pics. I don't have any now but when snow arrives again i will if this takes off.

We haven't had enough snow worth taking pictures for several years now. Only 4-5" here and there. Have only gone cross country skiing once this year. It all melted in just days. Not even worth plowing. :(

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #9  
that is real beautiful looking.......here's one from 10 days ago....suppose to get more tomorrow night.........Jack

snow.jpg

/ Western Washington snow storm: first plowing in 6 years #10  
Here in Port Orchard we have roughly 6". Wonder what Dragoneggs has out there at Seabeck, they always get more. By afternoon the roads were cleared pretty well, had to go to Lowes for materials for my bathroom project, no problem. As there was a melt this PM it will be ice tomorrow. Church put out a snow day message so home tomorrow morning.

Ron
Well about 8in here... my BIL reported 18in in Agnew between Sequim and Port Angeles! I was all excited to get home and plow some snow for the first time... but I got stuck in Reno Airport from Friday early AM and finally got home Saturday 6PM. Now I have a cold and sinus infection I think, and have no energy to go play with the tractor. Rats!