What’s an acceptable range?

/ What’s an acceptable range? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I see range a vehicle has being tossed around a lot in another thread. In my mind 400 miles is the minimum a vehicle should be able to go before it needs refueling or recharging. My truck has a range of 630 to 700 miles on the highway and my wife’s car around 500 miles.

What’s a reasonable range you expect?

/ What’s an acceptable range? #2  
Depends on the usage, I guess. For our cars, I've always liked around 500 on the highway. Our 93 Suburban could go over 700, but it had a 42 gallon tank. Our 2003 Suburban is a bit over 500, as is our 2020 Outback, as is our 2013 Impala.

Towing.... all bets are off. 🙃

/ What’s an acceptable range? #3  
For trucks, mine is limited to trailer towing, so 300 -> 350 is a good number. Gas, not diesel.

/ What’s an acceptable range? #4  
The Jeep wrangler 4xe which is a PHEV has a best case electric range of 25 miles.

/ What’s an acceptable range? #5  
My dodge ram only get a bit above 400 miles with the tires I have (small tank) probably get 500 on stock tires. If towing at the limit of its capacity I don't even get 200 miles...the longest stretch without 24h gas station in my region is 240 miles so as long as I get that I don't care... My Mazda 3 probably don't get much more than 450 miles as well (very small tank) but then I drive both pretty fast and aggressively so it brings down my fuel millage.

Last edited:
   / What’s an acceptable range? #8  
My motorcycle will do just over 200mi in a pinch but I refuel by 180mi to keep from having to walk.

I recognize it's useful having a huge range so you can refuel at a cheaper spot 100 miles farther but I don't think you realize the damage you're doing to your pelvic floor and kidneys (not to mention your hemorrhoids - everyone's got hemorrhoids, they're only problematic when they're inflamed).

My wife and I occasionally consider getting an electric car, but where we live while the normal is relatively short trips, there's also long ones and I don't want to have a different car just for long trips (other than the on/off road camping trips where the truck is taken). We're basically waiting for a plug-in hybrid at the right price range and option spec; her commute is 35 miles which is actually on the high end of typical PHEV ev-only mode, but it's probably workable, and a proper PHEV should have plenty of range for the long trips too. Only thing really holding us back is the car she bought in 2018 is still great though its mpg sucks at 22 (Toyota Highlander) it's still cheaper than ditching an otherwise great car for another expensive car.

/ What’s an acceptable range? #9  
My motorcycle will do just over 200mi in a pinch but I refuel by 180mi to keep from having to walk, though I definitely prefer not to ride it for 2-3 hours straight either.

I recognize it's useful having a huge range so you can refuel at a cheaper spot 100 miles farther but I don't think you realize the damage you're doing to your pelvic floor and kidneys (not to mention your hemorrhoids - everyone's got hemorrhoids, they're only problematic when they're inflamed).

My wife and I occasionally consider getting an electric car, but where we live while the normal is relatively short trips, there's also long ones and I don't want to have a different car just for long trips (other than the on/off road camping trips where the truck is taken). We're basically waiting for a plug-in hybrid at the right price range and option spec; her commute is 35 miles which is actually on the high end of typical PHEV ev-only mode, but it's probably workable, and a proper PHEV should have plenty of range for the long trips too. Only thing really holding us back is the car she bought in 2018 is still great though its mpg sucks at 22 (Toyota Highlander) it's still cheaper than ditching an otherwise great car for another expensive car.

/ What’s an acceptable range? #10  
My 77RD400 would do maaaaaaybe 100 miles if I nursed it. Usually about 60 though.

(might have been modified a wee bit 🙃 )