What About Your Montana?

/ What About Your Montana? #1  

Texasgreen

Silver Member
Tractor
06 Montana 4940C/R4/FEL arched boom.
Thought I'd start this thread just to see what tractor everybody has and the likes about your Montana Tractor.

1. 2006 4940C arched boom FEL.
2. 149 hours as of today
3. Transmission replaced @ 118 hours. This has been the only problem I've had. Montana handled this issue very well.
4. Tractor seems to be a tad bit thirsty for diesel then what I'd like.

I'm very happy with my 4940C. All I can say is that I get a big ole grin from ear to ear when I get in the cab and start her up.

I mostly use my tractor for hay work and dirty work. I'm a very happy owner.

/ What About Your Montana? #2  
What happened to your transmission?

/ What About Your Montana? #3  
I thought back in May you were trying to sell that tractor and were looking at the Kiotis? I'm not sure I'd be so happy with a transmission replacement at 118 hrs but hopefully those problems are all behind you.

/ What About Your Montana?
Quote: Oleozz I thought back in May you were trying to sell that tractor and were looking at the Kiotis? I'm not sure I'd be so happy with a transmission replacement at 118 hrs but hopefully those problems are all behind you.

Yes. I was trying to sell my Montana. I did have a chances to sell it but, I decided to keep it only because we had our main tractor that we use to run our hay equipment loose a injector pump and we had grass on the ground ready to bail up and sale. At that same time, I had a person gathering up his money and trailer to come buy my Montana from me. I had to end up keeping my Montana due to the other "green tractor" going to the shop for three weeks for an injector pump replacement and to also keep our costumers happy.

So, I still have my Montana 4940C and my trust is back in this brand of tractor. It did save my butt when I thought it would have let me down.

/ What About Your Montana? #5  
I am a relative newcomer - bought a 2740 back in May ... got 25hrs on her and so far so good (been to busy to get to use her much!) ... got the curved-boom loader. Used mostly for bush-hogging (Howse 5ft) ... mostly tall grass and slow speeds - and she doesn't seem to complain? I don't think the 5ft is too big for it - as long as I take my time? What do you folks think?

I like the 2740 because I can get the lads to use it (even the wife has been on it to move some some garden soil!) ... my old International doesn't have any brakes and is much larger and harder to deal with (like everything that gets a little older I guess - so I'm told!) :)

/ What About Your Montana? #6  
I have a 5740C and I've had mine since Feb 2005. I have the old, original, model FEL, with the more flimsey quick disconnect levers. I love the tractor and think it's great. I wish I had the new FEL with those newer model, much stouter quick disconnect levers. That's the only thing I'd change if I could. Otherwise, the tractor itself is unbeatable, for many reasons, compared to the other major brands.

/ What About Your Montana? #7  
uncle buck have you had any problems with your loader breaking bolts. I have read some posts about that but I have the older loader on my 4940c and it has not broken any of the mounting bolts. I broke a pin that you use to disconnect the loader with. The one on the top by the hydraulic stack but it came right out and i just rewelded it back together.

/ What About Your Montana? #8  
I have a 3040 with 100 hours and I have been very satisfied. I have had to replace 3 or 4 o'rings in the FEL quickconnectors and am not sure what to make of that.

/ What About Your Montana? #9  
gemini5362 said:
uncle buck have you had any problems with your loader breaking bolts. I have read some posts about that but I have the older loader on my 4940c and it has not broken any of the mounting bolts. I broke a pin that you use to disconnect the loader with. The one on the top by the hydraulic stack but it came right out and i just rewelded it back together.

Not a problem one in that catagory at all. My problem is those flimsey levers in the original FEL quick disconnect keep bending and then they're hard to operate/use, or don't work until you spend some serious time straightening them out. They grab onto/into the round bales when I'm moving/stacking round bales and that's how they get bent up. A REAL PITB!!

/ What About Your Montana? #10  
Do you have a picture of your flimsey levers? I have the original FEL (I think) and they seem to work OK. I am curious to know if you have the same one I do. I do know that they work a lot more smoothly if you keep them greased really well. I also use a small pipe as a cheater sometimes when they are stiff.