What additives do you use in your fuel and engines?

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Lots of snake oil additives out there to be purchased. Everything under the sun.

Myself, I use Biocide in my diesel storage tank (Powerservice Bio-Kleen) and Powerservice winter and summer additives as well. I also use Archoil additives in my engines, especially the AR Nano-Borate oil additive. Not cheap but keeps the engines clean inside. I switched from Rotella straight 30 weight to 5-40 Rotella T6 some years back as well.

Typically, I have around 500 gallons of diesel on hand constantly and I'm always concerned about algae growing in my bulk tank. Been down the algae highway before and it's not a cheap fix, even if you do the work yourself. My last go around with it cist me almost a grand in new parts and a lot of time and labor. I'd rather use an ounce or two of prevention than have to del with the slime.

What are your favorite elixirs and why?

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #2  
I use a Lucas product for anti gel in the winter and sometimes some kerosene mixed in. Also Stabil for long term gas storage. I’m not a big fan of using additives unless for a specific reason, like the OP’s biocide for longer term diesel storage.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #3  
I use a biocide as well. Plus another additive to deal with moisture; and the Power Service winter and summer additives. For the 100 gallons a year I use it seems like cheap insurance.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #4  
A little bio, thats it. Most of that shat makes a bigger mess than it fixes.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #5  
None. I've not found an issue in over 20 years with that plan.

I used to use Stabil for full for my small engines, but stopped that five years or so ago (about the time I switched to ethanol-free gasoline) and have found no ill effect. I buy my diesel in 10-gallon lots, which I use in a few months, so that's not an issue for me.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #6  
I add Sta-Bil to gas cans when I get 'em home. Golf cart, Terramite, bucket truck, and ZTR get gasoline fuel. My diesel cans get Howe's, PS white bottle, and Stanadyne lubricity formula when I bring 'em home. CUTs, skidder, and Kioti Mechron get fueled from the same cans.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #7  
For my dozen or so "occasional use" gas motors, I use ethanol free gas, treated with Stabil. The car, truck, SUV, van, lawnmowers, and 1951 Ford 8n tractor get untreated 87 octane unleaded gas.

My 2005 JD 4120 tractor gets diesel purchased 5 or 10 gallons at a time and treated with Stadyne performance formula in spring, summer, and fall, and PS arctic formula in winter. I still have the original 2005 fuel filter in that tractor, it has always run well, and I have never drained any water from the from it.

My 1999 Johnson outboard motor also has the original fuel filter, and has never required carb cleaning or adjustment. I have been using the ethanol free gas in that for at least the last 10 years.

I think that the fuel supplements that I use are cheap, time-saving ways to eliminate any fuel issues with my engines.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #8  
For diesel, I use Stanadyne

For gasoline, I use Sta-Bil

Mike

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines?
I think the worst thing is the algae issue. Once you get it, it's real hard to get rid of and it destroys things like fuel pumps and lift pumps and it's nasty and it was my own fault for using B20 bio diesel. Once I got rid of the algae, m and B20 parted company forever but I still use a biocide in my bulk tank as added insurance (and I drain off any sediment in the bottom regularly too. It does sweat inside a bit.

The Archoil Nano-Borate additive is amazing. When I pulled the valve covers on my 7.3 at 100K miles, it was like new under there, no sludge, nothing. Same with my 6000 hour Kubota. Just as clean as new. Even my Kubota tech at the dealership was amazed how clean the overhead was....and my oil takes a pretty long time to darken as well.

One thing I do notice with the T6 and that is, it gets a green hue after a while (before it starts getting dark). Not sure what that is all about. The straight 30 weight Rotella never did that.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines?
Non e-gas is hard to get here (some outlets) but they charge a premium price for it. Around here, it's called 'Recreational Gasoline' of all things.