What additives do you use in your fuel and engines?

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #61  
Lots of snake oil additives out there to be purchased. Everything under the sun.

Myself, I use Biocide in my diesel storage tank (Powerservice Bio-Kleen) and Powerservice winter and summer additives as well. I also use Archoil additives in my engines, especially the AR Nano-Borate oil additive. Not cheap but keeps the engines clean inside. I switched from Rotella straight 30 weight to 5-40 Rotella T6 some years back as well.

Typically, I have around 500 gallons of diesel on hand constantly and I'm always concerned about algae growing in my bulk tank. Been down the algae highway before and it's not a cheap fix, even if you do the work yourself. My last go around with it cist me almost a grand in new parts and a lot of time and labor. I'd rather use an ounce or two of prevention than have to del with the slime.

What are your favorite elixirs and why?
Power Services products. Read their history then decide. I also add a pint of ATF to my 50 gallon fuel drums when filling since ULS Diesel doesn't lubricate like Sulphered fuel did and I have a couple of older tractors too. I had as many as 7 tractors at a time over the years and been farming 43 years. Most of that time was with Diesel engines and I had "1" injection pump go out for servicing during that time....essentially "0" Diesel engine problems and my older tractors are 1963 and 1965 year models....the 1965 pump is the one that got serviced.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines?
I also add a pint of ATF to my 50 gallon fuel drums when filling since ULS Diesel doesn't lubricate like Sulphered fuel did and I have a couple of older tractors too. I had as many as 7 tractors at a time over the years
Never tried ATF, but not a bad idea for lubricity. Do you use Dexron-Mercon or the newer synthetic (expensive) ATF? May try that myself, both my tractors have mechanical pumps.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #63  
IMO ATF is a very poor choice for common rail diesels, same with MMO or tc3. If you must use an additive I would stick with one that is non alcohol and not a water emulsifier. JMO

BTW you guys know that all the major terminals use a lubricity additive for ULSD, right? ASTM D975 I think defines it. Plus I bet most people don't realize that most diesel sold now is B1 or B2.

EDITED: added thoughts

Last edited:
No common rail emissions engines here so no worry. Don't do emissions engines well.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #65  
No common rail emissions engines here so no worry. Don't do emissions engines well.
Yeah but it's getting harder and harder to get a diesel that is not common rail. A lot of people treat these engines the same as they did previous designs and are actually doing themselves a disservice. People will do what they will, and that's fine, but in most cases the additives amount to snake oil and lead to a bunch of posts with confirmation biases.

Most of my diesel now are emission based, so far I have had good luck. That being said one of the major reasons I purchased the Branson was because of it's older fuel system setup and its lack of ECM.

My 2 Kubota M9000's will outlast me so no post 4 engines will ever be on this place. Straight mechanical engines, only 'electric' item is the fuel cut solenoid. The VTE Kubota engine is a long lasting engine with proper care. Pre 4's are getting very hard to get and command a premium price when in good shape and mine are. Bought one new in 2004 and one used but well maintained 2 years ago before the price starting climbing as people realized that emissions compliant diesels can have issues and some are costly issues.

/ What additives do you use in your fuel and engines? #67  
Any modern diesel is designed to run on today’s fuel and with a lot of it being biodiesel that is the best lubricity. I can see adding stuff if you have an older diesel.