What am I looking at?

/ What am I looking at? #1  

Dwilson540

Tractor
Kubota L4200
OK, looked on the inside of my right rear tire, (Kubota L4200, probably about 25 years old). Is this something I want to tackle myself? I'm reasonably adept with tools, but on the other hand never taken something like this apart before. Are specialized tools needed? Is it simply removing and replacing a seal / gasket? I have to say this has been a pretty good tractor for me, I've owned it for 20+ years and not many problems.

IMG_9067.JPG
IMG_9066.JPG

/ What am I looking at? #2  
Is that chunks of metal on the rim in the first picture?

/ What am I looking at? #3  
IS there a large nut holding flange to axle?.... If not it may require you to remove a large portion of differential housing and it may be a major project...

A manual with break down of assembly would be really revealing....

/ What am I looking at? #5  
Short answer is it's a major job. You have to tear into the rear end to get the axle out

/ What am I looking at?
From the condition of the Clevis on rt side lift arm, I'd recommend taking it to a mechanic.
That clevis has nothing to do with it. The pin is just a little large for the hole and I really don't use the lifting arm for anything anyway. It is just in there to keep things from dropping and wearing on the ground. I'm concerned about the oil I see on the inside of the tire rim.

/ What am I looking at? #8  
It needs an axle seal, usually the bearings are fine and the seal has been taken out by vegetation getting wrapped around the axle or a pressure washer cutting a seal.
Occasionally a wheel bearing goes bad, neither repair is that difficult on most tractors it can be involved but not real difficult.
If it is juist a seal the other option is to just top of the hydraulic fluid as necessary.

/ What am I looking at? #9  
Its kind of routine.

Attachments

• 3020 axel 2.JPG
    3020 axel 2.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 3020 axel.JPG
    3020 axel.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 59
  • whl beg stand.JPG
    whl beg stand.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 63