What buy 2wd vs 4wd

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #1  

Bob1476

I recently had my L2800dt 4wd stolen. So I'm looking at a replacement tractor. The L2800 was a good little tractor, but was just a little weak in FEL and 3pt lifting capacity, so I'm thinking about moving up just a notch.

I basically have three options I'm looking at. First is a L3240dt 4wd with the L724 loader. It will do everything I need and is a NICE tractor.

Second is an L3240 HST with L724 loader, but it has 50 hours on it (was previously rented).

Third is a 2wd NH TT60A with FEL (and a nice 6' RHINO brush hog, which I need).

All three are the same price (although to be fair, I still need to purchase a brush hog for the Kubotas). The NH has a alot more hp, but is only 2wd and is a pretty basic tractor. But it is the most inexpensive of the 3 and comes with 0% for 60 months. I'm a little concerned about it only being 2wd for doing FEL work. The Kubota's have 0% for 42 months, or some decent longer term financing.

I'm also concerned about resale values between the NH and the Kubota. Between the two Kubotas, I'm leery of a rental unit, even with 50 hours, is the HST worth it? I use this tractor on 65 acres, mostly pasture. Moving/loading/unloading hay, mowing, light discing, etc. I don't do my own baling. Any thoughts?

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #2  
I recently had my L2800dt 4wd stolen. So I'm looking at a replacement tractor. The L2800 was a good little tractor, but was just a little weak in FEL and 3pt lifting capacity, so I'm thinking about moving up just a notch.

I basically have three options I'm looking at. First is a L3240dt 4wd with the L724 loader. It will do everything I need and is a NICE tractor.

Second is an L3240 HST with L724 loader, but it has 50 hours on it (was previously rented).

Third is a 2wd NH TT60A with FEL (and a nice 6' RHINO brush hog, which I need).

All three are the same price (although to be fair, I still need to purchase a brush hog for the Kubotas). The NH has a alot more hp, but is only 2wd and is a pretty basic tractor. But it is the most inexpensive of the 3 and comes with 0% for 60 months. I'm a little concerned about it only being 2wd for doing FEL work. The Kubota's have 0% for 42 months, or some decent longer term financing.

I'm also concerned about resale values between the NH and the Kubota. Between the two Kubotas, I'm leery of a rental unit, even with 50 hours, is the HST worth it? I use this tractor on 65 acres, mostly pasture. Moving/loading/unloading hay, mowing, light discing, etc. I don't do my own baling. Any thoughts?

That TT60A comes with two transmission options:

8F/4R with 4 constant mesh gears and

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #3  
I know there have been many times when I've lost traction and realize I'm in 2WD and when I move to 4WD the tractor pulls the load easily. Don't know where you live but if you get snow 4WD is a must, I have read here that is very important with a FEL and in the case of my JD 790 it is necessary for traction even with loaded rears. I've only had one 2WD and it was a 8N so can't really compare but I would never consider a 2WD for the snow removal and road grading that I do.

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #4  
That TT60A comes with two transmission options:

8F/4R with 4 constant mesh gears and

Oops, hit the wrong button.

As I was saying, that TT60A has two tranny options:

8F/4R with 4 constant mesh gears and 2 constant mesh ranges
8F/2R with 4 (2 synchronized) gears and 2 constant mesh ranges.

IMHO it's the tranny that's more important than 2WD vs 4WD for FEL work. Those two trannies available on the TT60A are fine for FEL work.

I had a Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic transmission) with the LA302 FEL that worked fine also for FEL work, although the bucket capacity and lift capability were small.

I traded the 7510 for a Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD) with the ML250 FEL (6ft bucket, 2950 lb lift to full height at the pivots). That 5525 has a very basic 8F/2R gear tranny called a "partial constant mesh" design. It's a simple sliding gear tranny with no synchronizers. It's "partial constant mesh" because only 2nd and 3rd are constant mesh gears; 1st and 4th are simple sliding gears. So it took me a few hours of seat time to get the hang of that tranny on the 5525, but now I'm pretty proficient now with the FEL.

Either one of those two trannies on the TT60A are more advanced than the one I have on the 5525. So I say if you like that NH tractor, go for it.

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #5  
The extra large capacity of the NH unit should make up for lack of 4wd for most situations.. the extra footprint and HP should be able to be put to good use. plus.. sound slike it is new.. with good financing.. and an attractive price.... It's be a no-brainer for me... all my tractors are 2wd now...

soundguy

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #6  
What type of soil do you have and how important is traction to you? My loader/backhoe is 2wd and if it's dry out, it works great. 80hp can get allot done, but if it's wet out, it's useless. It just seems to have a magic ability to find those wet spots or holes that swallow up a tire that my 4wd tractor never notices. You will also find that the extra traction of a 4wd tractor will make a HUGE difference in loader work, dry or wet conditions. The rear tires only have so much push in them when getting a load of material. Having that extra bit of traction will make it easy to get a full load compared to not being able to get a full load every time.

Will you be puling anything, mowing on hills or rough terain? HP has it's place, but so does traction. Having allot of power isn't going to get the field mowed if you can't drive through it.

Eddie

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd
I'll be brush-hogging with it and some light disc work. But the main reason I wanted to go with a bigger tractro was for FEL capacity (moving big hay bales) and the 3pt on the L2800 was pretty weak, which made digging large post holes tricky without getting the auger stuck.

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #8  
what caught my attention was you mentioned moving hay bales. are these round bales or square bales? i know you said you weren't going to be doing any haying, but moving heavy round bales can get a little tense when using too small of a tractor. it also sounds like you're getting a "package deal" with the NH. i had to make a similar decision as you. mine was get the tractor and fel now, or get a 4wd tractor and a bush hog now. i went with the 4wd tractor and bush hog with the tractor set up for a loader in the future. as for resale between the two you really are going to be about the same with both. NH and Kubota have great reputations. alot of people claim that a 4wd tractor is easier to sell then a 2wd tractor but it's been my experience that it depends on whos looking. some guys i know will buy a 2wd tractor in a heartbeat and never want 4wd, others just the opposite. i can tell you that i traded in a 2wd tractor recently and they gave me a price that was within $1,000 of what it cost brand new back in 1978. notice i said trade in price and not selling price. i could have got more for it if i sold it myself but didnt have time to mess with all that and needed a tractor now.

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd
This year I have big square bales. The wheat hay is no problem at 550 lb, but the Alfalfa is about 950 lbs and the L2800 would barely pick one up. Getting a bale off the second tier no the trailer was pretty spooky. That's one reason I wanted to move up a notch.

The NH is a package. If I go with one of the Kubotas I can have them add a brush hog for more money. Either way, I have to replace the tractor/loader and brush hog.

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #10  
This year I have big square bales. The wheat hay is no problem at 550 lb, but the Alfalfa is about 950 lbs and the L2800 would barely pick one up. Getting a bale off the second tier no the trailer was pretty spooky. That's one reason I wanted to move up a notch.

The NH is a package. If I go with one of the Kubotas I can have them add a brush hog for more money. Either way, I have to replace the tractor/loader and brush hog.

the decision is ultimatley up to you, but seems like you're getting a good bit more hp, bigger frame size, and a brush cutter for what HST and 4wd costs. that's the decision you have to make. i can tell you that around here hay farmers are using tractors very similar to the TT-60A you are looking at. the ones i know of are haying some pretty good size fields and round bales.