What causes flip overs?

/ What causes flip overs? #11  
Would be good to know if ANY flips pulling stumps are ever with R4's??? My guess... from my experience, would be NO. They slip way too easy, and I'm fine with that. ;)

Interesting. Never really thought about that.

I LOVE my R4 because I needed them. They do suck in the mud though!

My wife laughs at me because everytime I end the day after working in the mud, I drive it up and down my long driveway to clean out the tires! It is pretty funny looking with all of the mud flinging everywhere.

/ What causes flip overs? #12  
Interesting. Never really thought about that.

I LOVE my R4 because I needed them. They do suck in the mud though!

My wife laughs at me because every time I end the day after working in the mud, I drive it up and down my long driveway to clean out the tires! It is pretty funny looking with all of the mud flinging everywhere.

We were recently working on a pond with our 8540 and R1's and every once in a while had to do this as they turned into slicks.

/ What causes flip overs? #13  
If the tires were locked to the ground (nearly impossible) it only has to rotate a little over a quarter revolution to flip. From horizontal to vertical is 90 degrees, anything past that gravity will put it on top of you.

It sounds like we are in violent agreement. :laughing:

/ What causes flip overs? #14  
I had a neighbor just about get killed pulling from his FEL in reverse. He was on a NH, about 30 hp, and the rear wheels came up. He panicked and pushed in the clutch. It slammed to the ground so violently his foot slipped off the clutch and it went though this cycle 3 to 4 times before he could get it under control. He was holding on so tight he bent the steering wheel. He said it was like riding a mechanical bull on high. He was just trying to skid a fallen tree off the drive. Scared him so bad he did not get on the tractor for months.

As for tires loading up. I have had 2 with R1's and never had them load up at all. Mine are self cleaning. I guess this has something to do with soil type but i know the guys around here with R4's have this issue. We have a clay type soil.

Chris

/ What causes flip overs? #15  
Yes, as has been stated, the tractor is really rotating about its rear axle. If you think about it, the rear axle only has to rotate one revolution to put the tractor on its back, if the tires don't slip.
1/2 revolution. After 1/4 its all over.
larry

/ What causes flip overs? #16  
I dont belive that any tractor can pull a wheelie if you are pulling from the belly attached drawbar whether it sticks out past the wheels or not. Reference any tractor pull where they hook to the drawbar and pull the sleds with engines producing thousand HP or more. As the front in come up, the pull angle starts to lift the rear tires. The the tractor cant exceed 45 degree lift with the front end prior to the load lifting the rear tires and the front end falling back. You will get the continuous lift and fall action till you stop the torque to the tires. The exception to this might be if you used a drawbar in the lift arms and put it on float. You would then not be raising the rear end and if you had enough traction and power, it could flip.
I have seen where folks run a cable or chain that is attached to the drawbar and then ran under the tractor and attached to a stump or whatever. I suppose this would be the safest method and assured that the tractor wont flip by doing this. DONT attach to the FEL on 4 WD tractors if you have one with lift hooks welded on. You will do a nose stand very quickly as the more you pull the more weight you put to the front drive and if will stand you on end. IF you dont have the FEL lifted too high, you will only go till the bucket hits the ground. Even with the bucket low on the ground, this is not a good thing to do. If you want to pull stumps there is a good thread here on how to build a lever so you can hook to the stump, run your chain over a vertical pipe or other strong object then hook to the tractor. Chain must be sufficient length that your tractor cant be hit by the vertical pipe. This give you vertical lift to pull the stump.
There is a brief discussion of drawbar mechanics somewhere around 90 in this thread:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/146173-why-4-wheel-drive-3.html
... and around 70 in this one:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/177413-how-do-you-hook-your-2.html

/ What causes flip overs? #17  
Here's another thing to be aware of, especially you guys who live in cold climate. If you leave your tractor out overnight under certain condition (muddy ground and freezing at night) and the tires freeze to the ground, you can flip the tractor over when you start up in a forward gear. You should always start out in a reverse gear under these conditions. I have heard of people actually parking their tractors with the nose to tree or a barn to make sure they don't forget and drive forward.

/ What causes flip overs? #18  
The frame mounted drawbar is almost completely safe if its end extends outside the circle made by the rear tires. As the tractor rears up the end of the drawbar will come down to the ground reducing tip leverage to zero.
larry

FYI mine does not.

/ What causes flip overs? #19  
Here's another thing to be aware of, especially you guys who live in cold climate. If you leave your tractor out overnight under certain condition (muddy ground and freezing at night) and the tires freeze to the ground, you can flip the tractor over when you start up in a forward gear. You should always start out in a reverse gear under these conditions. I have heard of people actually parking their tractors with the nose to tree or a barn to make sure they don't forget and drive forward.

That's a new one to me. Consider it engraved in my memory!! Thanks!!

/ What causes flip overs? #20  
That's a new one to me. Consider it engraved in my memory!! Thanks!!

Never thought about that but can see how it can happen. Good mucky mud frozen is like concrete.