What causes flip overs?

/ What causes flip overs? #41  
Not to be disrespectful, but did anyone answer "Gravity" Sorry, couldn't let it go....

/ What causes flip overs? #42  
drivadesl said:
Not to be disrespectful, but did anyone answer "Gravity" Sorry, couldn't let it go....

Keep that up and they'll charge a cover. ;-)

/ What causes flip overs? #43  

Every time I saw this thread title pop up I though that same thing ... just didn't have the nerve to post it :laughing:

/ What causes flip overs? #44  
Looks to me like he's got those logs chained to point above and aft of the rear axle to guarentee that the front is going to lift and is doing some fancy clutch work to control that lifting.

/ What causes flip overs? #45  
That is the trick. The key word is aft. As the tractor front lifts the attachment point goes down and the arm the force from resistance of the logs acts on gets shorter. In other words the tractor mechanical advatage increases. In other words is self stabilizing system ( to a degree). In the same time all the weight of the tractor is on rear wheels to achieve maximum traction.

/ What causes flip overs? #49  
The fact is that, unless you hook up at ground contact level, back flip is possible. The point of rotation of the tractor is at ground contact. Needless to say that the lower you hook up the harder it is to flip. So your statement that the flip is impossible should say flip is unlikely but not impossible. Flip is possible such as in the tire frozen to the ground scenario.
I meant, when common traction conditions, tractor dimension and weight ratios are assumed. A tractor that doesnt transfer weight to the rear axle through the geometry of the chain which hooks up to the object you're trying to move, in itself doesnt have enough traction to lift the front end against gravity.
If you remove the common boundaries from any equasion, you could state any odd thing... Like my aunt is NOT overweight... ..within the gravity of the moon... :p

So to give the most exact definition of what causes a backflip:

If the traction of the rear wheels generate enough counterforce (torque) to overcome the force of gravity on the front end. :):)

(I know, its a useless answer to the OP question, but theoretically 100% correct ;) )

/ What causes flip overs? #50  
I finally found the pics I have wanted to post here for quite some time. I believe this scenario was caused by an inexperienced operator driving on hilly ground with the loader in the raised position. It was a BRAND NEW JCB w/only a few hours on it. No one hurt and the only visible damage was the window in the cab broken.

Attachments

• DSC00923.JPG
    DSC00923.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC00924.JPG
    DSC00924.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 168