What causes tractor rollovers?

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #71  
While doing accident investigations, the 1st thing I ask is, did you read the owners manual
I don't consider that a nice profession, it's very mentally stressful. I did it as as well as a safety and compliance officer for a large trucking company for a couple years prior to retirement. Lot of tense people, some telling the truth and some lying and it's up to you to deduce the truth and make a judgement call and someone is always unhappy. Did a few where fatalities were involved too. Tough playing devil's advocate at times.

Sure is nice to be retired and away from that stress. The compensation wasn't bad but the stress level at times wasn't commensurate with the pay. Spent an inordinate amount of time either driving or flying somewhere and lots of hotel / motel rooms and restaurant food.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #73  
If you knew the center of gravity and the exact angle of the hill, there is still the unknown. Just a small mound of dirt on the high side of the tractor or an unseen hole on the low side could give it the push it needed to roll.
Also, the inertia of sliding on wet grass and then digging in could easily flip it over.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #74  
I don't consider that a nice profession, it's very mentally stressful. I did it as as well as a safety and compliance officer for a large trucking company for a couple years prior to retirement. Lot of tense people, some telling the truth and some lying and it's up to you to deduce the truth and make a judgement call and someone is always unhappy. Did a few where fatalities were involved too. Tough playing devil's advocate at times.

Sure is nice to be retired and away from that stress. The compensation wasn't bad but the stress level at times wasn't commensurate with the pay. Spent an inordinate amount of time either driving or flying somewhere and lots of hotel / motel rooms and restaurant food.
I did it at 1 location (at a time) I did not find it terribly stressful. I developed relationships with every contractor or sub. I was helpful.
I avoided the "write em up!" as much as possible. If someone worked with me towards the safety of themselves and others, it usually went very well for them. If they would not work as a team, they learned to wish they did.
I was in a unique situation in that nobody got paid until I signed off.
My boss nor my boss's boss could make me sign. They could be held personally financially liable if they got someone paid without my approval.
That meant less pressure. Less pressure - less stress!

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #75  
I also say "I wanna see your contractor's license and PROOF of your workman's comp insurance." Then I check the insurance company to see if the policy is still in force - some clowns pay just the first premium and then let it lapse, but present the declarations page of the policy as covering an entire year. Lotsa varmints out there, be warned.
You also can ask for a Certificate of Insurance from their agent. With that, the agent is supposed to notify you if they cancel, but it doesn't always happen. (I also would ask for a General Liability policy. If nothing else it shows they are trying to be a legitimate business.)

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #76  
I did it at 1 location (at a time) I did not find it terribly stressful. I developed relationships with every contractor or sub. I was helpful.
I avoided the "write em up!" as much as possible. If someone worked with me towards the safety of themselves and others, it usually went very well for them. If they would not work as a team, they learned to wish they did.
I was in a unique situation in that nobody got paid until I signed off.
My boss nor my boss's boss could make me sign. They could be held personally financially liable if they got someone paid without my approval.
That meant less pressure. Less pressure - less stress!
I was in a different position representing the company at a loss scene so I got to deal with LE and insurance carriers plus the victims and the guilty parties and if the drivers were at fault, they knew their job hung in the balance of what I decided and I didn't like playing 'God' with someome's livelyhood.

I believe the worst ones were the one's that burned. Nothing uglier than a burned out truck and trailer and the others involved as well.

Was a job and now being retired I can look back on it as a learning experience. I still hold my class A with all endorsements but haz-mat and I own a Class 8 tractor trailer but my driving is limited to grain hauling to the local elevator. Once you do it, it's always in your blood I guess.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #77  
I often times wonder how many automobile owners have ever bothered to read the owners manual or even know where it is for that matter.

Owner's manual? There's an owner's manual?

Unfortunately, most of them are a joke. Dear Bride was afflicted with a 2013 Mazda 3 for a while. The manual was several hundred pages long, it told how to operate the "entertainment suite" and the "climate control suite" (I guess cars don't have radios and heaters anymore) but there were only a few pages which talked about the CAR. Gas goes here, this is the front, and the best part was "If you need to replace a burned out headlight bulb, see your dealer." Really.

Bought it new, it was afflicted with so many obscure and incurable electrical problems that we called it "Marvin the Paranoid Mazda". It didn't need a mechanic, it needed a psychiatrist. Or three. Or maybe a lobotomy, calling Nurse Ratched!

Someone with a jacked up pickup truck backed into it in a WalMart parking lot - the car looked like it had been hit by an asteroid, utterly demolished. We were not sad to see it go.

The best part about a paper manual is that you can always tell what parts of that particular vehicle are troublesome - just look for the pages with the most greasy fingerprints.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #78  
I’m no expert, but I’ll at least attempt to be helpful.
Setup:
Ballast in the tires or any other weight that is LOW to the ground will help.
Wider stance helps - old tractors with narrow front ends are incredibly tippy.

Technique:
Keep the loader and implements as low as possible.
Make sure anything you lift is centered on the tractor, or biased slightly uphill, and can’t slide or shift. (My neighbor rolled his tractor when an unsecured stump he had in the bucket suddenly slid to one side.)
If you have a backhoe or other implement that moves side to side, swinging it uphill might help.
If you start to tip, turn downhill and drop the bucket, but don’t hit the brakes.
When possible, go straight up or down hills rather than across. (Most tractors are incredibly stable going straight down a hill with the loader touching or almost touch the ground. Of course if you start to slide sideways for some reason all bets are off.)

That’s kept me mostly upright so far…

Last edited:
   / What causes tractor rollovers? #79  
I’m no expert, but I’ll at least attempt to be helpful.
Setup:
Ballast in the tires or any other weight that is LOW to the ground will help.
Wider stance helps - old tractors with narrow front ends are incredibly tippy.

Technique:
Keep the loader and implements as low as possible.
Make sure anything you lift is centered on the tractor, or biased slightly uphill, and can’t slide or shift. (My neighbor rolled his tractor when an unsecured stump he had in the bucket suddenly slid to one side.)
If you have a backhoe or other implement that moves side to side, swinging it uphill might help.
If you start to tip, turn downhill and drop the bucket, but don’t hit the brakes.
When possible, go straight up or down hills rather than across. (Most tractors are incredibly stable going straight down a hill with the loader touching or almost touch the ground. Of course if you start to slide sideways for some reason all bets are off.)

That’s kept me mostly upright so far…
Very good information for even experienced operators.
The unsecured load catches a lot more people than you'd expect.

Nothing uglier than seeing a load of rebar suspended on a chain from bucket. You know what happens when they hit the brakes? Rebar swings and comes back into the cab!

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #80  
I had one of the lower three point mounts break. So in between the time that the "fix it" part showed up, I started running with out any three point counter weight using an FEL. This was seriously stupid. I had never run the tractor before with out at least some rear weight, and with the FEL, and not the weight of the three point attachment, it was a whole other game. After the second time I nearly flipped it, I got the point, that this thing is unstable with out a rear counter weigh for the areas I'm use to.