What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today?

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,611  
How is that flail mower treating you?

Not mowing season here now, so haven't used it since late last spring, but, it is another quality WoodMaxx product. Cuts nice and has a small storage footprint.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,612  
My Titan Quick Attach fork lift attachment arrived yesterday. Ordered on Saturday night, on the ground at my place before noon on Tuesday. It only had to go from Fresno to San Jose, but, still, pretty **** quick. Looks well made and it fit my XR4150 perfectly. When I first bought my LS I made the mistake of buying some clamp on forks, thinking I wouldn't use them that much. Boy was I wrong! The convenience factor alone makes them worth it. My attachment arsenal is growing, Woodmaxx MX9900 chipper, Woodmaxx 62H flail mower, Titan box scraper, and now the Titan quick attach fork lift attachment.

That's the ones I ordered Dec 28, was supposed to arrive Jan 4,instead of TN to AR to TX they made a trip up to Akron Ohio first!(FedEx Freight). I finally received them last Saturday Jan 9. One fork was NOT strapped to the pallet. Somehow they managed to keep it together though. Everything looked ok.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today?
#1,613  
Got 9 1/2 ton of gravel yesterday, what they call dense grade -- a mix of course and fine that packs well. Moved some of that this morning back to the shed and some around the generator pad area. Probably less that half the pile. I just get tired of doing one thing after a while and have to break off and do something else. Will probably move some more tomorrow.

Question .... is it beyond the capabilities to try and lift a 500 gallon LP tank with about 20% gas? I'm pretty sure it is.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,614  
Should weigh around 1600-1700 pounds at 20%.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,615  
Propane weighs 4.2lbs per gallon. 20%of 500 is 100. 4.2x100 is 420lbs of propane. The tank itself, according to google, is about 1180lbs. Your FEL lift capacity is 1000lbs at the pins. Thats according to LS.

Total tank weight of 1600 is a bit over your rated lifting capacity.

HOWEVER

You have some ballast on the back, your backhoe? It will be a struggle, but you might pull it up just a bit. Only one way to find out. ;)

#1,616  
Ummm.... yeah.

I've got my self boxed in over the years though since it was first placed. New things added to the house, shed and yard have restricted access and travel paths. Neighbor has a JD 4020 that could lift it, but he might have to go over or near the septic tank. Even though it's a concrete tank 18" or so under red rock gravel that has been in place and packed down for 20 years, I'm not sure it would stand the weight for even one pass. Really the only other open path for him would be down a moderately steep hill and back up.

Even if the propane company could get it out the same way they brought it in, they say they're too busy for the next month or more and they don't want to do it while the ground is soft/damp.

I've considered making a sort of dolly for it using utility trailer axles and wheels. I could lift it one end at a time enough to get an axle under, then build a frame to stabilize it all. For the one time use traveling 300' on my own property, wood and ratchet straps should be OK. BUT, since neither of those trailer axles has brakes, if I get it rolling and it decides to go a different direction that I want it to ......

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,617  
Had 10 tons of gravel delivered to fill in my 24x 28 boxed in area. I will eventually
Have a carport put up to store my MT 125 Mini Beast and my old Dodge. IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,618  
Ummm.... yeah.

I've got my self boxed in over the years though since it was first placed. New things added to the house, shed and yard have restricted access and travel paths. Neighbor has a JD 4020 that could lift it, but he might have to go over or near the septic tank. Even though it's a concrete tank 18" or so under red rock gravel that has been in place and packed down for 20 years, I'm not sure it would stand the weight for even one pass. Really the only other open path for him would be down a moderately steep hill and back up.

Even if the propane company could get it out the same way they brought it in, they say they're too busy for the next month or more and they don't want to do it while the ground is soft/damp.

I've considered making a sort of dolly for it using utility trailer axles and wheels. I could lift it one end at a time enough to get an axle under, then build a frame to stabilize it all. For the one time use traveling 300' on my own property, wood and ratchet straps should be OK. BUT, since neither of those trailer axles has brakes, if I get it rolling and it decides to go a different direction that I want it to ......

They make ground protection mats, or alternatively depending on the exact location of your septic,
lay down 2 or 3 sheets of 3/4 plywood over the septic tank. Two end to end and the third set on top midway over both.
Then have the neighbor bring the 4020 over.
these are high priced; Ground Protection Mats Cranes Excavators Loaders skid steer bobcat Kubota | eBay
You may be able to find some for rental from a crane or rigging company.
But you can safely traverse soft ground or tanks with these or plywood, plywood may be reusable after and may not be.
With tires and fairly solid ground it usually is reusable.

A 4020 JD is not a real heavy tractor less then 9000# plus the loader, if someone had a 3 point jib pole that would keep the tank weight on the larger rear tires.

Last edited:
#1,619  
Problem with plywood (besides it being $40/sh), is that the ground isn't level over the tank. There's a hump which would keep it from laying flat enough to drive over. I've been thinking about 2x8s though that I could lay side to side and maybe some steel strapping (pipe hanger stuff) to tie them together so they wouldn't slip apart.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,620  
Your call, yes plywood is expensive but it will flex under load and not break.
As will ground protection mats.