What did YOU do to your tractor today?

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #51  
Thanks guys. Got the dearborn snowplow frame mounted on my 2n yesterday. Hoping we get no snow and I won't have to use it this year. It never seem to work out that way, although last years snowfall wasn't bad at all.
Also mounted a set of axle weights on the '40. Getting a little to old to lift them on without help.

Kirk

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 101_0048.JPG
    101_0048.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 247
  • 101_0052.JPG
    101_0052.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 222
   / What did YOU do to your tractor today?
Couple chucks of iron there, Kirk. Heck, that'd be a job for anyone - regardless of how youngish they are.

So this old 641 breaks up under load, not all the time but enough that it bothers me. Thinking it's gotta be fuel or ignition, I've run a bunch of seafoam and then berrymans through mixed in heavy with the gas and it hasn't really helped much. The other day, Thanksgiving morning actually when I'm trying to stay the heck away from everybody, I pulled the distributor cap, rotor, and points plate to get to the advance weights and make sure they were free. Oiled 'em and worked 'em by hand a little. Cleaned the points up a little with a dollar bill and looked everything over, new plugs wires cap rotor etc... earlier this year or late last year so things looked ok.

Put her back together and man if it don't still break up a little under a load.

Wondering if I should just go ahead and swap in another condensor and set of points. Distributor shaft has no detectable radial play.

Drove the tractor over to a friends house this past Tuesday with the TW logsplitter hanging off the back, split wood for a couple hours without any problem but the ride Home is more uphill and darn if the dang thing didn't sputter and break up a few times.

I know she really needs a thorough going through just for preventive maintenance and peace of mind with carb rebuild and set the valves and all, heck maybe timing gears and chain need replacement too but where the time coming from and now with Winter scratching on the door... Lol

No pics from woodsplitting, but blasted through a LOT of wood with that 4-way wedge. Neighbors came over to check out the operation as most folks around here have the stand-alone splitters.

Cool! Looking forward to hearing more about that 3000 as you tear into it

Weather finally cleared along with me having time off from work.

Have an old retired friend whose Wife is battling multiple myeloma and kinda needs a fire in the fireplace 24/7, fire is calming and brings her peace.

They had a bunch of lengths dropped of a few weeks ago but he's not able to buck 'em up into firewood so I went over there this morning with a couple saws and knocked that out for them.

Figured I'd run my old 641 with the TW-3 down to them so we could split it all up too but then I remembered that I still hadn't replaced the points and condenser with the new stuff I bought last year, lol

So this afternoon while the sun was still shining into the garage and warming it a little I gave the old girl some ignition component love.

Parked all Winter long with a tender on the 8v battery, it surprised the heck outa me when as soon as I mashed the starter button the engine fired right up and smoothed right out!

Let her run a little to warm up then tweaked the carb a little and by golly I think she's good to go. Cleared that annoying miss right up.

Tomorrow while I'm back over where I store the tractor for the Winter I'll swap in the spin-on oil filter kit I picked up last year too.

I have that new muffler to replace the old one that has more holes in it than I can count, maybe if I can slow the clock down and squeeze a little more time out of the day I'll set to work on checking that off my list too.

Dang, there's just so much to do in the Springtime what with all the other projects, but sometimes a man just has to get in some tractor time.

:thumbsup:

So, what did YOU do to your tractor today? :)

So today was another sunny day.

Did the spin-on oil filter conversion, while I was at it I gave it an oil change too.

Got an IC-7 Echlin ignition coil from NAPA and swapped it in, had enough motivation left to pull the paper thin old muffler off of it and install the new one I got last year.

So far things are looking and running pretty good!

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #57  
I bought a "tiltmeter" from the store here on TBN and installed it today. Real easy to install and it came out great. Lots of hills and uneven areas on my property. This works nice!P4220001.JPGP4220002.JPG

Wouldn't have guessed landscape would be so rolling as coastal as Rowley is, must be handy to have that tiltmeter. Thanks for including a photo!

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #59  
This past week I went up to my little 20 acre hunting paradise and put in a couple of acres of food plots. I brush hogged some trails in the woods that needed maintenance, then disced and dragged the plots after seeding. Discing seems to be a decent load on the tranny. Without a temp gauge for the tranny how do you 'monitor' tranny temp?

It gets pretty warm/hot to the touch. I can place my palm on the tranny case between my legs for a couple of seconds, but its pretty darn hot. My gut tells me all is fine, but I know you guys have a millions hours of experience. I have a '63 4000 with a SOS. What is the highest gear I should be discing in? As always, thanks for the input. The input from this place has been priceless. Here is a pic of my tractor next to small dove food plot I planted a while back. I put in milo and sunflowersIMG_5268.JPGIMG_5268.JPG

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #60  
Filled the Ford 550 TLB Up with Red diesel and checked All the oils.

Dug out a 28" diameter stump with the Ford TLB and used the thumb added last year to hold it with the backhoe bucket to move it to the burn pile. refilled and leveled the hole. Big stump a few wheelies on the way but the rear brakes worked well for additional steering.

Levelled and added some rich home brew potting soil to a low spot in one part of the lawn with the 550