What did you do with your Power Trac today?

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #171  
Those are great pictures. I was wondering if your machine came stock with the steering cylinder underneath the footplate?
Thanks!

Yes, the steering ram under the foot plate is stock. The 422 only comes with one, on the left side. I believe the 425 comes with two, one on each side.

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #172  
Got it. We learn something new every day.

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #173  
Thanks!

Yes, the steering ram under the foot plate is stock. The 422 only comes with one, on the left side. I believe the 425 comes with two, one on each side.
Yup - the 425 comes with two.

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #174  
IMG_0690.JPG

A couple of days ago moving brush piles
While the PT grapple, isn’t the greatest design, it works well on the 425
I also used it to pick up and move a bunch of old tires, that at some point I’ll bury into a mound for my shooting backstop berm.
(Note, that I won’t be shooting tires, they will be covered, they will just help with fill)

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today?
Beats working. Nice pic

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #177  
View attachment 707461
A couple of days ago moving brush piles
While the PT grapple, isn’t the greatest design, it works well on the 425
I also used it to pick up and move a bunch of old tires, that at some point I’ll bury into a mound for my shooting backstop berm.
(Note, that I won’t be shooting tires, they will be covered, they will just help with fill)
Those grapples are awesome 👍

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #178  
Had some fun today. I had called our well drillers about some issues that we were having with our check valve on the pump (down the well). These folks had drilled the original well forty years ago and we were still on the original pump. The well drillers turned up today to do the work.

By way of back story, our well is only about 120' from the main road, probably thirty feet up from the road. Now, these folks did the original well, so they have all the details on file. We had our first quarter of an inch of rain yesterday, and the little soil we have is 100% clay.

Now we have an "atmospheric river" storm forecast for Sunday that is supposed to drop 10-15% of our annual rainfall overnight. If it happens, and we hope it does because we are in a drought, our clay soil will be "slicker than snake snot" as a rather genteel elderly lady once described it to me.

Well, the drill rig that turned up is on some beefy pick up like setup with a Cummins in a Sterling truck. However, it has highway tires on it, with no AWD, and no diff lock. It can't even cross the swale by the side of the road. Ok, to be totally honest, it got one wheel across. But that was all she wrote.

These guys are well drillers and know the area, and I am wondering what the heck the foreman was thinking sending the team out on this rig.

So, I get out the PT and the 4N1, scrape a ramp into the road edge, compact it, and then move some soil down for a nice ramp up to the well. Compact that, too. The truck makes it off the road on to the property, before it then spins and slides out on the greasy clay layer which is all of an eighth of an inch thick. These are hard highway tires. Nothing doing. So, I grade a road to the well for them. They are still spinning out. :rolleyes:

Crew lead to me "Hey, this is a really heavy truck, so I don't think that we will be able to do this today. So, I am just going to call the foreman and call it a day." I am thinking about the chances of getting the well serviced before May because of the clay soil and rains, and I'm getting nervous, not liking my odds.
Me: "How about I put chains on my tractor and pull you up?"
Crew lead: "Hmm"
Crew member #2: "Hey don't we have chains?"

So I chained up the PT to the truck as an initial try, thinking that I could always add tire chains to the PT if it came to that. Turns out that it didn't even require chains on the PT. The 1445 pulled the 25,000lb truck up to the well without even spinning out. 3,500lbs on four hydraulic motors generated enough torque to make it.

There was a small hitch just as they were getting the pump to the surface, when it jammed on something, but eventually, they were able to free it. I always feel like down hole well issues are voodoo like because there aren't a lot of options, or space to service any of the options. The pump looked brand new coming out of the well, which was a relief. The huge news was that the water table is unchanged in forty years, which being on top of a hill, after some really big earthquakes, and two years into a major drought, is rather good news. Folks lower down the hill that I know of have low flow wells that go down 7-800'.

The only bad news was that they pulled the wrong notes and thus brought the wrong size and wrong HP pump. Arrgggh!

Repeat performance tomorrow with the PT-1445. I will try to remember to bring a camera. Fingers crossed!

This tractor has earned its keep so many times. Thank you, thank you, thank you Power-Trac.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / What did you do with your Power Trac today? #179  
Hope you did not get the rain flooding they were showing on tv

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #180  
I think about getting a 1445, but I already have so many things set up for this 1430 with the attachments and all.
It might just be me, but you don’t hear as many people talk about the 1445 as other machines, again, that’s only what I’m noticing on Tractor’s by net. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited: