What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss?

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #141  
Rawles has a lot of good books on the topic. In my opinion they are like a how-to book wrapped around a novel. They are entertaining but chocked FULL of useful information. I have read Patriots and Survivors, might have to get a couple of his newer ones.

I have them all, I bought them on Flea Bay, they are like a manual on how to prep for whatever....

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #142  
They free range and there is plenty for them to eat in the pasture. But we supplement them with protein to max out egg production. I’ve been casually looking at machines to make my own pellets. We’re also talking about planting an area just for chicken feed. It’s just talk for now, but that’s where all our projects start
To many predators around here for that. I've shot more coons in the past 4 years than my entire life.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #143  
To many predators around here for that. I've shot more coons in the past 4 years than my entire life.
That is my problem as well, everything from coyote on the bigger end to hawks and such. I am currently chickenless but thinking of getting it going again.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #144  
That is my problem as well, everything from coyote on the bigger end to hawks and such. I am currently chickenless but thinking of getting it going again.
I have 48 birds and get about 3 dozen a day, i have a steady stream of customers at $4/doz eggs. It's not very profitable, but it pays for itself and then some, while providing us with fresh eggs. Plus it's a neat hobby on the side. And I find between that and the garden, I'm going to the grocery store less often.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #145  
As I stated earlier, I work for a large utility company and have my entire adult life. I'm not ill-informed, but I am concerned. An EMP or similar attack (or a Carrington event) that damages transformers and switching relays would likely cause damage to the grid that would take months to years to repair. Here's one article of many describing the lead-time issues with large transformers :Supply shortages and an inflexible market give rise to high power transformer lead times | Wood Mackenzie

The power system of today appears to be incredibly reliable and it is, until it's not. It's gruesome to contemplate no power for six months or a year. Unthinkable. This thread has sort of turned into "What kind of generator to have and solar panels." Brother, stop and think about no power for a year. Please, I implore all of you to plan accordingly. That was @Yander 's real initial question. My answer is that I'm contingency planning for no power.
This thread has focused on the electrical grid, but our transportation network is at risk as well. How many of our interstates cross bridges? How many of our secondary roads cross bridges? While the bigger (longer and taller) bridges are the most noticable, there are many more that you cross that are not noticed. What happens if a bridge is not there anymore? It will add many many more hours to commute and delivery times, if there is a way across the river or valley. Assuming that there is an alternate route, that will be more heavily trafficed and will cause additional delays. Weather has taken out bridges, ships running into the supports, so it doesn't seem all that far fetched that a damaged support will stop traffic across that bridge.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #146  
I dont know how long stored water stays fresh and safe….
The plan is to pump water into the tank and then use another pump to deliver water to the house from the tank. This would keep the water fresh.
Eric

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #147  
Solar Cells for charging and short term use during the day might be in our future. I can see where it would be useful to charge our phones...
Solar chargers for phones are about $30 - $40. Not that it matters if the cell tower(s) don't have power.
I have never had a mower live that long unless I bring the battery inside or put a tender on it. For the longest time I brought them inside and put them on a shelf in the heated garage. The cold is hard on them. I have first hand seen them freeze and explode.
Cold is actually easier on batteries than heat is.

And the only way a lead acid battery can freeze is if it's discharged.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #148  
Long term power loss....I have a land line, woodstove, collect rain water, have frozen jugs of water in freezers, a grill and firepit. We can get by for a while okay.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #150  
We lost power for a couple weeks years ago so we went to Florida, came back all was well. Sam Kinison had it right: