What do you do with your greasy shop rags?

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #21  
Take them to the self SERVE :Dlaundramat?

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #22  
Take them to the self SERVE :Dlaundramat?

And leave the greasy mess in the washer for the next poor guy?!!! :eek:

The next guy could be me, on the road traveling.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #23  
I also use mostly old t-shirts. I use them for progressively nasiter jobs: when they're clean, I use them to wipe my hands; when they're dirty from that, I use them for checking oil. When they're oily, I use them to wipe off grease zerks.

After they're greasy, I use them to wipe the grease/dirt/grass mixture off the mower and rotary cutter wheel spindles. Finally, when they're so bad, I can't pick them up without nasty stuff falling off of them, they go in the trash.

I also use extra paper napkins from fast food places for oil/grease-related cleaning.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #24  
I also use mostly old t-shirts. I use them for progressively nasiter jobs: when they're clean, I use them to wipe my hands; when they're dirty from that, I use them for checking oil. When they're oily, I use them to wipe off grease zerks.

After they're greasy, I use them to wipe the grease/dirt/grass mixture off the mower and rotary cutter wheel spindles. Finally, when they're so bad, I can't pick them up without nasty stuff falling off of them, they go in the trash.

*I also use extra paper napkins from fast food places for oil/grease-related cleaning.
I use paper towels some.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #25  
Quit using the uniform service guys rags over 10 years ago!!!
Paper towels all the way... dont have to store greasy rags (fire hazard) - dont end up grabbing a rag only to find its full grease - dont have to deal with a rag that has been in a machine shop that is full of metal shavings - and always have a spiffy paper towel handy.
I buy paper towels on sale by bulk...some paper towels are much better than others; so have to shop wisely...

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #27  
And leave the greasy mess in the washer for the next poor guy?!!! :eek:

The next guy could be me, on the road traveling.

Back when I did mobile service full time I used a uniform service that also cleaned my rags. Now that I only do it a little on the side I clean my own rags. I go to the local laundromat around 3 in the morning. I usually do a couple of hundred in one of the big front load washers and use Red Hot to clean them. I was actually surprised the first time I did them because there was no goopy mess in the drum (and I use the grease I sell, it ain't nice stuff). Even still I only use one washer there and always use the same one.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #28  

Hmm.
Among the most dangerous are rags ... in contact with corn oil, fish oils, ... linseed ... pine oil ... soybean oil ... .
Such oils are reactive with oxygen at room temperature ...

[then it goes on to say petroleum-derived oils do not have this trait.]

I knew of the hazard, but not the specifics, after I read that a local restaurant burned down during renovation. Linseed-soaked rags used for refinishing wood paneling and then left in a stairwell over the weekend were named as the cause.

That Fire Protection paragraph made me wonder: What about biodiesel-soaked rags? I have read that pure biodiesel has a shelf life of 6 months, and 50/50 bio/conventional diesel a life of one year, due to biodiesel's reactivity with oxygen that essentially ferments it into acid and undesirable compounds. Does anyone know more about this? It looks to me that biodiesel rags might belong in the 'spontaneous combustion' column due to this reactivity.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #29  
I use a 5 gal bucket with a strong mix of that purple cleaner. Just toss them in and when I have no more rags, fish them out and rinse off in a second bucket with clean water. They come out pretty clean. Much cheaper than paper towels.

But, I still use paper for wiping up globs of grease. Just easier to do that.

I'll also 2nd the petroleum oils don't self ignite. From chemistry class, there is no mechanism for that class of material to self decompose exothermically or be organically
"eaten" by bacteria exothermically etc. Now, if you wipe up oils, grease and maybe even a bit of gasoline, the FUMES can light and the flame front travel back to the source. That's the reason for the sealed solvent cans in most industrial settings. Fume containment.

But, don't let me stop anyone from taking safety precautions. Needed or optional -> it's you at risk, not me. Do what you feel is best.

jb

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags?
Thanks guys, good info here on the dangers of organic versus inorganic.
I think I did first learn about rags in woodshop (organics) but you also see the 'oily rags' can in every commercial garage. Certainly the fumes can be a problem for the oily rags etc. Gotta wonder if the self-closing can wasn't also to keep guys from flicking a cigarette butt in there back in the 'good ol days' when a lot more people smoked than today.

When the weather warms up I might try the washing bucket trick.