What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on?

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #21  
If it were my machine, I would mount an oil pressure gauge so I could see what the pressure is.

Absolutely! The only thing I would add would be do an oil and filter change first and use a quality 15W40 oil.

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #22  
On 1700 cleanable screen is for hydraulic only and it does not have any pressure gauge or idiot light. Spin on filter is for the engine oil and obviously crankcase oil and hydraulic oil are totally separate. The issue with OP and his problem is with crankcase oil. All the posters accurately explained to OP root causes, he just needs to chime in.
Right you are. There isn't an idiot light for the hydraulic system.. thanks for the correction.
I edited the original message.
rScotty

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #23  
Someone else already commented on this but...
If this is a fairly recent happening, when was it last serviced? Was the filter changed? That might be a cheap fix...along with using a higher viscosity oil in hotter weather/heavier loads.

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on?
Thank you all. The oil and filter were changed about 35 hours ago. Relatively "new". Oil level is good. I'm thinking, in addition to the other post of I have where rpms are lower than normal after heat up and machine losing power after 10-15 minutes that I might have governor issue. I will investigate further. Thank you.

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #25  
Thank you all. The oil and filter were changed about 35 hours ago. Relatively "new". Oil level is good. I'm thinking, in addition to the other post of I have where rpms are lower than normal after heat up and machine losing power after 10-15 minutes that I might have governor issue. I will investigate further. Thank you.
have you ever changed oil in the injector pump. If governor centrifugal weight is binding it would not allow engine to rev up. We have several thread that I have pics and description of injector oil replacement. injector pump takes only 2 oz of oil ,same as the crankcase ford 134, it has a drain plug, level indicator plug and fill on top. Need help let us know. I do change that oil every few years , just to have fresh oil in it. The oil does not get dirty as no combustion is taking place and it is only for lubrication.

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on?
have you ever changed oil in the injector pump. If governor centrifugal weight is binding it would not allow engine to rev up. We have several thread that I have pics and description of injector oil replacement. injector pump takes only 2 oz of oil ,same as the crankcase ford 134, it has a drain plug, level indicator plug and fill on top. Need help let us know. I do change that oil every few years , just to have fresh oil in it. The oil does not get dirty as no combustion is taking place and it is only for lubrication.
I do not believe I have changed this oil, in the injector pump. But, I do think I may be onto the issue with my 1700: I checked the fuel filter, even though I just put a new one in about 15 hours ago, the plastic cup around it was cloudy and when I took it off, there was a fair amount of crap at the bottom. Enough dirt to fill a penny if it was empty, if that makes sense. So I cleaned the cup, got a new filter and swapped. Didn't want to start, so I bled the air out of the screws. Still no start, so I bled at the injector inlets to the cylinder - and (as a faced the engine) the fuel line on the left seeped a little fuel out, but, the cylinder/fuel line on the right did not. I tightened the left one and then removed the ~12" fuel line on the right. I blew threw it and, while it took a hefty exhale (which I think makes sense because of the small diameter of that fuel line, I believe it's clear. When I hit the key to try and start/pump fuel, no fuel came up from where I just removed that `12" fuel line - so it must be gummed up between bleed screws and fuel line (see pic - is this the governor??).

Attachments

• fuel lines.jpg
    fuel lines.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58
   / What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #27  
I do not believe I have changed this oil, in the injector pump. But, I do think I may be onto the issue with my 1700: I checked the fuel filter, even though I just put a new one in about 15 hours ago, the plastic cup around it was cloudy and when I took it off, there was a fair amount of crap at the bottom. Enough dirt to fill a penny if it was empty, if that makes sense. So I cleaned the cup, got a new filter and swapped. Didn't want to start, so I bled the air out of the screws. Still no start, so I bled at the injector inlets to the cylinder - and (as a faced the engine) the fuel line on the left seeped a little fuel out, but, the cylinder/fuel line on the right did not. I tightened the left one and then removed the ~12" fuel line on the right. I blew threw it and, while it took a hefty exhale (which I think makes sense because of the small diameter of that fuel line, I believe it's clear. When I hit the key to try and start/pump fuel, no fuel came up from where I just removed that `12" fuel line - so it must be gummed up between bleed screws and fuel line (see pic - is this the governor??).

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #28  
it is passed my bed time but watching Barcelona-Real Madrid Now. but, quickly here, Governor is internal to the injector, you cannot see it from outside. if you take the back plat eof the injector then you can see if.it is directly attache to a can shaft that rotates. the lobes on the cam shaft reciprocate two small piston and with right valving it suck fuel and then injects it causing a lot of pressure and very little flow (fuel flow). if you have a air trapped there in the line it keeps compresses the air without pumping fuel. just remember air is compressible but not liquid fuel. The injector need to be bled as close as you can to actual injector. It would take a while for the fuel to fill and empty pipe as voulume of flow is low. I am not sure if yiu completely bled the air out. I had to do it several times in the last 20 years due to running out of diesel and I know the voulume of fuel is very small and is fuel pump is pulsating and sending very little fuel next to the injector anytime I bled air out of my 1700.

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #29  
... air is compressible but not liquid fuel. ...
Has happened with my Dodge, 1992 Cummins D250. I simply loosen the six fuel connectors at the injectors (with a 17mm crow-foot) and bleed by cranking until fuel squirts all over the engine compartment. Then I tighten the connectors and it starts right up.

/ What does "oil - low pressure" light mean when it just barely starts coming on? #30  
I simply loosen the six fuel connectors at the injectors (with a 17mm crow-foot) and bleed by cranking until fuel squirts all over the engine compartment. Then I tighten the connectors and it starts right up.
for sure and the key is right at the injector and long enough to get all the air out. Now here with 1700, you got only two injectors to deal with.