What grease do you use?

/ What grease do you use? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

I was reading another thread where greasing our tractors was discussed. What type of grease do you use? My tractor was delivered with what I'd call "normal" colored grease - kind of yellowish.....not Red, Black or Blue. When buying grease, I see many types for different applications and the one I'm most familiar with is for front wheel bearings on tapered bearings. I've used the red and black stuff that is rated for wheel bearings. Just wondering what your preference is and why?

Thanks,
Mike

/ What grease do you use? #2  
Having gone through lots of kinds over the years, I now exclusively use Deere grease except for most wheel bearings.

Here's the Deere grease site.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/batteries_and_fluids/maintenance_fluids/grease/grease.page

I use polyurea for most things, especially my loader. It's thick and tightens up the slop in the bucket.
Some things get the lithium-moly blend and wheel bearings get "Red and Tackey" from a big box store.

That's all I use.

Last edited:
   / What grease do you use? #3  
If it moves slow, I use black moly grease. That would be things like pins/bushings, ball joints, axle pivots, etc

IF it moves fast, I use a synthetic grease. Mobil SHC460 or SHC32 presently.

But most will say (and I agree) that any grease, doesnt matter what type, is better than no grease. It is more important to keep things well greased, than the type of grease being used. However, some greases do better than others, and thats what I use.

/ What grease do you use? #4  
I use Shell Donax in both summer and winter, for everything except wheel bearings which get the really thick 'wheel bearing grease'.

/ What grease do you use? #5  
I've been using blue guard for a no. of yrs. backhoe every 8 to 10 hrs. not overly expensive seems to do the job tractor loader when ever it needs it but the front axle pivot very regular. I keep the grease where it's warm and grease right after work while the machines are still warm to get a good flow.

/ What grease do you use? #6  
I use the red stuff from TSC exclusively. Besides the fact that I just like the color, sometimes I have to grease a pin with my fingers and the stuff seems cleaner than other stuff. Also when it turns dark or black I know it is full of dirt and grit so its time to re-grease. :2cents:

/ What grease do you use? #7  
For many years now, i've use automotive synthetic grease and I've not lost any bearing or any other part from a grease failure...

SR

/ What grease do you use? #8  
For many years now, i've use automotive synthetic grease and I've not lost any bearing or any other part from a grease failure...

SR

As noted earlier in the thread, ANY grease is better than no grease. Modern grease is far superior to that stuff of decades earlier. Some tight clearance, heavy pounding or high speed applications do need better greases, however. My best buys on equipment over the years came on things filthy with dirt and grease. Newbies were scared away but the grease was a sign of good care.

/ What grease do you use? #9  
Not trying to thread hijack, but what do some of you use for grease guns? I had it yesterday with my brand new Lincoln and tossed it into the dumpster. I'm looking for something that simply works when you reload it, one that doesn't need constant maintenance and attention.

/ What grease do you use? #10  
Not trying to thread hijack, but what do some of you use for grease guns? I had it yesterday with my brand new Lincoln and tossed it into the dumpster. I'm looking for something that simply works when you reload it, one that doesn't need constant maintenance and attention.

I have NO problems with my Lincoln, it's a good gun... I wish you had thrown yours in MY dumpster...

I think it's about how you load the gun that makes the difference...

SR