What happened to Massey Ferguson?

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #101  
View attachment 842244
My 1840M ready for winter duty! I love my Massey. 0% financing, great dealership within an hour of my house. I put 100 hours on it in the first year at my new house, moving dirt, trees, brush hogging, plowing snow and of course the occasional moving pallets and heavy objects!
That is one Mighty-Fine M-F. A friend of mine bought the same model last year; When he was looking to buy a tractor. He did ask me about what I liked about my 2 M-F's. I just told him to make comparisons with other tractors makes, & you'll make the right decision; He was close to buying a LS only because it was close to his home, But the M-F had everything he was looking for, & he also liked the 0% financing. & like You, & Me he loves his M-F 1840M. I do recall saying to myself if I ever bought a tractor with a cab; The 1840M would be the one, But I can't part with my 59 M-F 50; That I bought 26 years ago used it's the 1st tractor I ever bought, & I bought the 1526 new in 2018 for other purposes; They both compliment each other. IMG_20201003_134009.jpg

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #102  
Greetings All!
Just a general topic question:
With all the tractor talk and newer brands, rebranding, emerging models and buyouts, where is Massey Ferguson in all this? I never see reviews, or comparisons including MF. Are they a "has been" brand now? Do they fail the current markets? Poor dealer support? Overpriced?

Just curious why I don't find any sizeable quantity of info about them.
If you go to the AGCO website you will find everything you need, They have not disappeared.

www.agcocorp.comAGCO: Fendt, Grain & Protein, Massey Ferguson, Precision ...

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #103  
Kubota, JD, Case have construction lines as well which I suspect helps with dealerships and brand recognition. so in areas that aren't farming focused these lines thrive well with construction and then when they need a sub 50hp tractor there is already the built in location for construction owners and for small farms. living on a farm we had MF and it was a great machine but in that farming area we had no kubota. now living in Seattle area kubota and jd thrive very well.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #104  
Greetings All!
Just a general topic question:
With all the tractor talk and newer brands, rebranding, emerging models and buyouts, where is Massey Ferguson in all this? I never see reviews, or comparisons including MF. Are they a "has been" brand now? Do they fail the current markets? Poor dealer support? Overpriced?

Just curious why I don't find any sizeable quantity of info about them.
It's true they don't do the advertising that many of the other b rands do, but they have always had a great reputation, especially amongst those who really work them, as opposed to hobby farmers. I just sold one I had for almost 40 years, and my dad had it for more than 10 years before me. It remains quite a beast, though it doesn't have a lot of the amenities the modern ones do. If you google them, you'll find all kinds of info on them.

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_161450141_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231119_161450141_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
   / What happened to Massey Ferguson? #105  
Man, I am behind the times. I keep wondering what happened Massey Harris!
I loved the Ferguson 30 I ran a lifetime ago. Continental engine. Dealer with all the parts needed.

Forty years later, I used a Ford N, and was surprised how it all came back to me; the "go to neutral do I can release the clutch to get the hydraulic up and raise the blade" was fully instinctive.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #106  
To my mind MF no longer exists as a manufacturer who even owned Perkins at one time. Today it is just a brand name belonging to AGCO and they paste it on to whatever tractor they please. I have heard them say it is used on their premium line of tractors along with the bright red paint.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #107  
To my mind MF no longer exists as a manufacturer who even owned Perkins at one time. Today it is just a brand name belonging to AGCO and they paste it on to whatever tractor they please. I have heard them say it is used on their premium line of tractors along with the bright red paint.
That might be true, But I own a 1959 M-F & a 2018 M-F, & the quality is still there; As well as the value. After all there are not many tractors that can say they are not a global product. & if you can't find a part for your 135; I'm sure you'll be looking toward AGCO for a solution in your quest. It's no longer a small world when it comes to mechanized machinery.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #108  
I am sure they have some good models but to me it is not worthy of brand loyalty when the same tractor is sold with different paint and decals.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #109  
freestar
Report this ad
I am sure they have some good models but to me it is not worthy of brand loyalty when the same tractor is sold with different paint and decals.
So who else sells the same Massey Tractors? Maybe some larger challenger models.
MF has had a long history selling Iseki made compacts. They are the only way to buy one in North America.

I like AGCO. They have bought many established brands that were in decline. Some they have folded like Allis Chalmers, Others they have sunk money into and made them much better. They have a full range of ag products. Very thorough in what they offer.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #110  
They have sunk a few brands for sure, Challenger and AGCO are gone. They seem to have condensed them into the MF tractor brand. AGCO tractors are a modernized extension of Allis-Chalmers (although they share little other than paint color) and gave a farmer a chance to buy a Massey Ferguson style tractor with a Cummins 5.9L or 6.7L matched up to Fendt drivetrain. Sad to see that go. An amazing tractor lineup.
Challenger was a brand started by CAT to introduce them into the AG tractor market to go along with their long run of tracked AG tractors. AGCO bought that tractor line from CAT in the early oughts and kept them going until 2022.

I had a Challenger MT285B and it was a fantastic little tractor.

Last edited: