What happened to Massey Ferguson?

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #131  
Mismanagement and lack of innovation. I think they are still made in Inda.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #132  
Mismanagement and lack of innovation. I think they are still made in Inda.
Some models are made in India but MF is part of AGCO now and not being mismanaged. They have tractors built all over. Many of the CUTS are made in Japan by Iseki. They are popular around me on farms as we have a good solid dealer 10 minutes from my house. Many farms that had been green, are now rung MF red.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #133  
I actually think Massey Ferguson is making a comeback. They never left us, but they weren’t the most popular tractor 20 years ago, either.
AGCO has done a nice job rebuilding the brand and marketing them.

I wish AGCO would have kept the Challenger or AGCO tractors instead of doing away with both. I think the explosion of Fendt reduced the sales of Challenger and AGCO so much, they cut AGCO ~2012 and Challenger in ~2021.

Massey is left over to pick up the slack left by the dropping of those 2 brands.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #134  
Massey Ferguson is third in world sales behind JD and Mahindra.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #135  
People don’t realize that Massey Ferguson makes discbines, balers, combines, rakes, tedders and dozens of other farm machines Kubota don’t make.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #136  
People don’t realize that Massey Ferguson makes discbines, balers, combines, rakes, tedders and dozens of other farm machines Kubota don’t make.
Yep, Massey/Hesston makes some of the best hay equipment in the world.
And I was surprised to see there are still a LOT of Massey combines running in western Canada.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #137  
Yep, Massey/Hesston makes some of the best hay equipment in the world.
And I was surprised to see there are still a LOT of Massey combines running in western Canada.
Its all about dealership dominance in specific regions.
I read guys here say they never see any MF equipment, then you drive into the next region and they dominate.

I have seen where just a few bullwark repair technicians and salesmen can dominate an entire region because they do their jobs very well. And the brand they work for gets a lot of profit because of them.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #138  
I have a few Massey dealerships around me here in East Texas. I do tend to see alot of Case, JD and various other brands but I don't see alot of MF out there working.
I have six dealerships within 60 miles of me.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #139  

Mf has had some great utility tractors 135, 165, 175 Then made some mistakes when the went to the 235 as the new "heavy duty" steering box was weak and had a lot of failures then came the 230 and 245 with hydrostatic steering. the 265 and 275 were also good utility tractors.
With the big tractor MF has a lot of issues when the 2000 series came out, they had great innovations though like the "electric" over hydraulic three point hitch. After the failures they quickly jumped to the 3500 seris.
After that I lost track of what Massey was building as I changed jobs.
As for dealers they like everyone else have pushed for the multistore dealers and sales quotas, so many of small local dealers just closed up.
The dealer I worked at held the distinction of being second in sales to a much larger, more progressive dealer. Not selling tractors or equipment but combines. When he passed in 93 (?) the dealership closed and was bought by an equipment jockey, who has really expanded the lot.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #140  

Mf has had some great utility tractors 135, 165, 175 Then made some mistakes when the went to the 235 as the new "heavy duty" steering box was weak and had a lot of failures then came the 230 and 245 with hydrostatic steering. the 265 and 275 were also good utility tractors.
With the big tractor MF has a lot of issues when the 2000 series came out, they had great innovations though like the "electric" over hydraulic three point hitch. After the failures they quickly jumped to the 3500 seris.
After that I lost track of what Massey was building as I changed jobs.
As for dealers they like everyone else have pushed for the multistore dealers and sales quotas, so many of small local dealers just closed up.
The dealer I worked at held the distinction of being second in sales to a much larger, more progressive dealer. Not selling tractors or equipment but combines. When he passed in 93 (?) the dealership closed and was bought by an equipment jockey, who has really expanded the lot.
Don't forget the following Massey-Ferguson utility tractor's from the mid 50's to the early 60's which were the M-F 35, M-F 50, & the M-F 65's. I still see allot of these being used on farms around the world. & I still operate a 1959 M-F 50 gasser yearly; Maybe not for farming, But for spliting wood, skidding logs, & occasionally for grading a gravel road. & she works right alongside my 2018 M-F 1526 CUT. IMG_20201003_134009.jpg