What have you learned from TBN ?

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #31  
Did I miss the personal safety stuff?
The emergency kit is a great idea.
And my favorite - try and wear eye protection.

-Mike Z.

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #32  
RalphVa said:
Don't talk about what you don't wear driving the tractor. Most aren't interested.

Ralph

So sorry Ralph, every time I see your name I think of that thread. :^)

-Mike Z.

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #33  
Way too much to list...

But the biggest thing I got from this site initally was complete angst for a while. After ordering my tractor, I came back on just to combat buyer's remorse (very little I might add since I felt I had done good research - mostly TBN) when I stumbled across a thread about rolling the BX24 and how tipsey they were. My property in nothing but 15-20 degree slopes - so I read this and am thinking that I will now have to move just so I can use my new tractor. Took me 2 weeks to get the nerve to leave the front yard (only flat part)

Now, 30+ hours in, I am all over the place - very careful and slow, but pucker factor has eased. If not for this site I would have destoyed (parts or all) of my tractor and/or me.

I've also learned that most if not all of us are a little wrapped up with our mechanical mistresses and probably need some form of counseling.....:D

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #34  
NuBota said:
I've also learned that most if not all of us are a little wrapped up with our mechanical mistresses and probably need some form of counseling.....:D

You got that right! Is there a 12 step program available?

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #35  
I learned that; Anything you say on TBN can, and will be used against you. :eek:

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #36  
Hi texasjohn,

Like your list, I'm a tractor "newbie", JD2305,FEL,MMM,BH. On the off chance, do you happen to remember where you learned some of the things you learned, or some key words to search on? I'd be interested in:

1.made my own hydraulic top link
2.made a trencher (from 4-row bedder) for burying plastic pipe/electric wire
3.plastic barrels for storing diesel
4.hand pump in barrel for filling tractor
5.work shed lighting selection

As I mentioned it's probably been over the years that you've learned these things, but maybe you might remember something that can get me to the same places?

And, may I add one of my own...always check TBN every day with your morning coffee, always something new and interesting coming in!

Thanks,
Ray:)

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #37  
droy said:
I have learned (among MANY other useful tidbits), that showing off my intelligence by answering a question will very quickly result in at least two responses containing the correct answer AND an explaination why my answer was wrong. (smiley face here) Where are those things anyway?

To find your smileys: Near the top of the page, go to MY HOME. Scroll all the way down to MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS and by the MESSAGE EDITOR INTERFACE click on Standard Editor and when you reply you will have the smileys listed by the side of the box. :) :D :cool:

/ What have you learned from TBN ?
Raykos, I'll do my best:

top link: my description is:
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Hydraulic top link. I read much and worried a lot about the need for a proper control valve. However, since I already had an extra cylinder and two ball connectors, I welded up the connectors as 4 inch each cylinder extensions which was needed to get the right extended length. It is wonderful to be able to control the top length from the rear where you can see exactly what is needed, make adjustments, align and insert the pin without moving. Since the hydraulic top link is heavy, I added a chain bolted to existing tool box bolts in the cab to hold it in position when not attached. I壇 like to do a tilt hydraulic link one day, but would need another spool and it seems significantly more difficult to do. So far I have had no problems with leak down in the top link. I use the center attachment for the TL to the tractor under the theory that this is the strongest attachment point. Would you believe I even discovered that the hydraulic hoses are color coded, red and blue, for pull/push?

TOP_LINK_2_1104.JPG

TOP_LINK_1_1105.JPG

trencher/subsoiler: photos are of my rig
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/82653-pipe-plowing-poly-roll-roll.html

DSCN1186.JPGDSCN1189.JPGDSCN1192.JPG

barrels
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/86933-white-plastic-barrels-gas-storage.html

hand pump... simply from Harbor Freight Tools... get the one that has a thread or way to attach a hose to the curved spout so you can get a hose to the diesel tank inlet

lighting: after all was done, I summed up all I had learned in this thread
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/91587-shop-light-decision-thanks.html

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #39  
I've learn that I don't know much, but there are a bunch of folks on here that do.

From this board I learned that the Kubota B2710 was the right tractor for me. That was 1999. I did the 784 hour service on it today and I'm still happy.

/ What have you learned from TBN ? #40  
Do not talk about new Kubota tractors before Kubota wants you to talk about them!