What is draft control

/ What is draft control #31  
I read somewhere that Branson is getting out of the tractor business and the 'Branson' brand will be TYM. Don't TYM build them anyway in Korea?
Branson is made by Kukje (TYM bought Kukje a while back), but they are different tractors so far.
I've looked at TYM and Branson, my opinion I think the Branson is a nicer/heavier built machine

/ What is draft control #33  
Branson is made by Kukje (TYM bought Kukje a while back), but they are different tractors so far.
I've looked at TYM and Branson, my opinion I think the Branson is a nicer/heavier built machine
Don't know one from another actually. All I know about are the 2 M9's I own. I'm sure they will outlast my needs and being pre 4 and well maintained, bring a premium price for my wife when she sells them off after my demise along with everything else farm related. She don't even know how to start them, let alone hook up hay tools.

My M's have had an excellent track record for me. No issues other than routine service since 2002 and 2004 respectively. Reliable as 2 rocks and very miserly on fuel, an important aspect today.

/ What is draft control #34  
Happy for ya... But what does any of that have to do with draft control?

/ What is draft control #35  
Happy for ya... But what does any of that have to do with draft control?
Just typical practice from our resident troll, no less. Turn every single thread into something about him, then when he gets confronted, says he doesn't care about anything else other than his stuff. Classic. :)

Anyway, back to draft control. See it working at 0:13 mark. No tire spin, no light front end, no tires digging.

Last edited:
   / What is draft control #36  
I missed this video the first time and realized its a good one.

I just want to add a thought on this that is somewhat debatable.
I think that draft should be looked at as an operator helper but also as compromise.
It assists the job by reducing the load, lifting the implement till the load is reduced.
Once the load is reduced, the draft allows the 3 pt to settle back down to the selected depth.
So the work is a series of depth oscillations.
That usually means that the job isn't being accomplished properly

Take plowing, the more obvious.
If the draft is triggered every couple of minutes, that's fantastic, that's what its for.
If the draft is triggered every couple of feet, that's a problem and a operator who is smarter than the rocks they're plowing will do a plan B.
Thats because they are making a mess of the field.
They would need to:
Set the draft heavier so it doesn't trigger so often
Reconfigure the equipment to pull easier
Switch to a different piece of equipment
Get additional traction for the tractor
Get a different tractor
Wait for the ground to get drier, or wetter
Have a neighbor bring another tractor and chain and pull them around the field all day (that does happen)

The point is that a continuous draft trigger is not such a good thing and signals the operator to make a change.

/ What is draft control #37  
I missed this video the first time and realized its a good one.

I just want to add a thought on this that is somewhat debatable.
I think that draft should be looked at as an operator helper but also as compromise.
It assists the job by reducing the load, lifting the implement till the load is reduced.
Once the load is reduced, the draft allows the 3 pt to settle back down to the selected depth.
So the work is a series of depth oscillations.
That usually means that the job isn't being accomplished properly

Take plowing, the more obvious.
If the draft is triggered every couple of minutes, that's fantastic, that's what its for.
If the draft is triggered every couple of feet, that's a problem and a operator who is smarter than the rocks they're plowing will do a plan B.
Thats because they are making a mess of the field.
They would need to:
Set the draft heavier so it doesn't trigger so often
Reconfigure the equipment to pull easier
Switch to a different piece of equipment
Get additional traction for the tractor
Get a different tractor
Wait for the ground to get drier, or wetter
Have a neighbor bring another tractor and chain and pull them around the field all day (that does happen)

The point is that a continuous draft trigger is not such a good thing and signals the operator to make a change.
You make some very good points! I agree that if the tractor can't pull the plow at a uniform depth, other factors should be looked at. I realize there are field conditions which dictate decreasing depth SLIGHTLY and temporarily to increase operating efficiency. An example would be a hard spot that the tractor can't pull thru without spinning out or changing to a lower gear. The flip side is that the hard spot will probably be there again next year if not taken out.

Going thru a sharp draw or over a sharp knoll is where draft control should be effective at actually maintaining depth to a reasonable extent. Tractor rear wheels drop into a ditch and the draft control should raise the plow and vice versa when going over a rise.

/ What is draft control #39  
You make some very good points! I agree that if the tractor can't pull the plow at a uniform depth, other factors should be looked at. I realize there are field conditions which dictate decreasing depth SLIGHTLY and temporarily to increase operating efficiency. An example would be a hard spot that the tractor can't pull thru without spinning out or changing to a lower gear. The flip side is that the hard spot will probably be there again next year if not taken out.

Going thru a sharp draw or over a sharp knoll is where draft control should be effective at actually maintaining depth to a reasonable extent. Tractor rear wheels drop into a ditch and the draft control should raise the plow and vice versa when going over a rise.
That's depth and/or position control, not draft control. All draft control does is control the draft (pull) on the tractor. It does not control depth.

This is why it's important for everyone to speak the same terminology and why draft control seems to be a confusing mystery to a lot of people.

/ What is draft control #40  
Harry Ferguson invented the three point hitch because people were getting killed when the tractor rolled over backwards while trying to plow. After some attempts he on a handshake agreement allowed Henry Ford to use it. The 9N, 2N, 9N. Harry wanted to use the hitch but Ford refused to stop. Harry sued Ford. Ford lost and had to use a different system for their hitch. Ferguson started US production of the TO20 later to be the TO30, later the TO35 then Massey bought Ferguson and it became 35. FYI Ferguson tractors TO= Tractor Overseas, TE=Tractor England Remember Ferguson was Irish.
What was unique about Ferguson's three point was it used position & draft control by controlling input to a scotch yoke pump.
Draft control some refer to as automatic depth control. On Ferguson's tractor the top link with a ground engaging implement pushes toward the tractor as the implement tries to rotate around the lower hitch bar. this force operates internal linkage to raise or lower the implement by the amount of force of the top link. The benefit of this is as the implement pulls harder and the hitch attempts to raise the implement it also adds weight to the tractors rear wheels.
Later tractors and other makes have used lower link sensing. The amount of pull from the lower links is used instead of using a top link. This became necessary especially for semi mounted plows.
A good draft system will be very sensitive to minor changes in the load. A poor draft system can be very frustrating.
WARNING Do NOT use DRAFT control to attach or detach implements. Usually they either moves full up or full down and can move unexpectedly. Use only POSITION control when attaching or detaching implements. Position control should move only according to movement of the control lever