What is it with Harley riders?

/ What is it with Harley riders? #371  
The movie "Wild Hogs" was just on TV a few nights ago. A pretty good one, IMHO...

/ What is it with Harley riders? #372  
The only time the term "stock" has been mentioned in this thread has been in reference to mufflers and exhaust.
Except when you explained why bracket racing leveled the field between guys running stock equipment, and those with money to do anything.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #373  
I 1/4 miled my 60 bug against an MG midget and got stopped for racing. The officer knew me by name and he started laughing a little, belittling me that I couldn't even make 50 mph.
He was trying to get me to admit we were racing on a public road, but I stayed the line that he had to have seen my left blinker going and I was trying to pass a slower car.
I hate the sound of the Harleys with no muffler and the helicopter sound coming down a hill.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #374  
Older guys that still want to appear "tough". They spend $$$ for the riding gear and accessories to look like they are in a motorcycle gang. I wish states would enforce the laws on the books and not allow bikers and cars to modify or disable the muffler.
They just want to be as cool as their dad was back in the day. Or maybe neighbor's dad.

The thing is... Dad's Harley didn't cost 20K. It was probably a government surplus bike bought on the cheap, had straight pipes because dad couldn't afford factory mufflers, and needed to be revved up because dad was trying to squeeze some go out of that heap, and maybe wasn't as good a mechanic as he thought he was.

A lot of stuff like that was born of necessity and became part of the image. I bet more than a few of these guys don't actually know why they do it. They just see it as a "Harley guy thing to do".

They are older because they finally can afford that 20K Harley at this age.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #375  
I 1/4 miled my 60 bug against an MG midget and got stopped for racing. The officer knew me by name and he started laughing a little, belittling me that I couldn't even make 50 mph.
He was trying to get me to admit we were racing on a public road, but I stayed the line that he had to have seen my left blinker going and I was trying to pass a slower car.
I hate the sound of the Harleys with no muffler and the helicopter sound coming down a hill.
As a teen I was drag racing another fellow on a county in my mom’s Olds Cutlass. Suddenly a blue light in my mirror. oh crap. It was another guy with a Western Auto blue revolving dash light. I had been set up. 🫣😆

/ What is it with Harley riders? #376  
They just want to be as cool as their dad was back in the day. Or maybe neighbor's dad.

The thing is... Dad's Harley didn't cost 20K. It was probably a government surplus bike bought on the cheap, had straight pipes because dad couldn't afford factory mufflers, and needed to be revved up because dad was trying to squeeze some go out of that heap, and maybe wasn't as good a mechanic as he thought he was.

A lot of stuff like that was born of necessity and became part of the image. I bet more than a few of these guys don't actually know why they do it. They just see it as a "Harley guy thing to do".

They are older because they finally can afford that 20K Harley at this age.
Obviously you are at an extremely advanced age.. A base Harley starts at about 25K... And fully equipped CVO... Near 60K.. I have one that i probably have 50K into and another that's near 30K. ..They both make that beautiful noise that you don't understand.

/ What is it with Harley riders? #377  
You can get a Low Rider S for around 20k..

/ What is it with Harley riders? #379  
But you have to surrender your man card before you do that... Nobody wants that trade off
I have a Street Bob and my wife has a Softail Slim and a Sportster..

/ What is it with Harley riders? #380  
I think people put fart cans on their atv's, bikes, snowmobiles for the sound they make.
So guess cause the money been spent might as well take full advantage of making the noise. No???