What is some of your Pet Peeve's

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #291  
Wish I was tech savvy and always carried a smartphone 15 yrs ago. I could write a book on how not to correctly do diy pleasure boat wiring among other things, lol.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #293  
Speaking of wiring and pet peeves, Scotch Locks.

Their use on a vehicle should be a class A felony.
Funny, I would have said anyone who didn't use scotch locks on telephone or other small gauge ( 20 gauge or smaller, like low voltage control) wiring should have received death by being set on fire. Then put out multiple times, and set on fire again. That way it took longer and hurt more.

But I've never seen them used on vehicle wiring before.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #294  
Tap splices are bad in my experience fixing diy f-ups probably part of the problem is the splices used are either to big or to small for the wire someone tried to tap into.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #296  
Funny, I would have said anyone who didn't use scotch locks on telephone or other small gauge ( 20 gauge or smaller, like low voltage control) wiring should have received death by being set on fire. Then put out multiple times, and set on fire again. That way it took longer and hurt more.

But I've never seen them used on vehicle wiring before.
They're two different animals:

Telephone wiring Scotch lock:

1692923498038.png

Automotive type Scotch lock:

1692923548406.png

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #297  
I have one Maxey 7K 16' flatbed and one custom built gooseneck that came with those damn things at every junction.

Needless to say, not many of the lights work on either one.
My father had an IHC 1850 single axle truck he used to deliver park model mobile homes years ago. He had added several lights and of course about the middle of the next winter he started having problems with them going out. I told him to bring it to my shop and I would help him fix them, rather than trying to fix them out in the snow and cold. As soon as I took a look at it, I knew what the problem was, he had used Scotch Locks to tap into existing wires to run the lights he added.
About half of them were corroded inside the connectors, some almost completely in two. We spent a couple of hours removing all the Scotch Locks and using proper splices with sealant lined shrink tube. I made him promise to only use the damned things in an emergency. He never had a problem after that with any of the wiring we repaired that day.

The Scotch Locks used in telephone line repair and installation are a whole different animal, they have dielectric grease, I believe it is, in the connector that is forced into the connection when it is squeezed together. There are probably billions of those things in use with few problems.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #298  
I've never heard the larger splice connectors called "Scotch Locks". That is (or was) a brand name for the small gauge telco connectors. At least at one time 3-M owned the product, don't know if they still do, I don't do as much telco work anymore. And yes, they do have a dialectric grease or jell inside. As long as they are correctly installed, and the correct crimping pliers are used, they are bomb proof.

The common splice connectors you all are calling "Scotch Locks" are indeed a bane to mankind. I have ripped them out of just about everything I've ever seen them used on. My father used to use those on his RV anytime he "fixed" any wiring. Then a year or so later, when he was having gremlins in his electrical sys, I would look it over and just start cutting and ripping and rewiring the mess.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #299  
Why don't biking enthusiast folks use bike paths running parallel to well traveled roads my property taxes helped pay for? Instead they apparently like traveling sometimes two wide on a curvy road not really even on the shoulder.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #300  
Why don't biking enthusiast folks use bike paths running parallel to well traveled roads my property taxes helped pay for? Instead they apparently like traveling sometimes two wide on a curvy road not really even on the shoulder.
I would like to add follow road rules!

Last weekend a “herd” of tandem bikes rode through the village I live outside of, I stood out in front of the post office, as they rode up, I was getting ready to cross the street, and they all blew right through the 4 way stop 🛑

These were adults , 30/40 years old, all dressed in their effeminate bicycle gear…..