Comparison What is the best brand of tractor?

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #61  
I used to bleed green, especially 2 cylinder green. I told my wife about 8 months ago I should sell the skidsteer and buy a tractor with a loader on it, she said whatever you want to do. I started looking for a 2355 J.D. like 1990's old because they are better tractors than what they make now, any of them. They had 5,000+ hours on them and they wanted $18,000+ for them. I couldn't afford that. Just so happens we stopped by a friends one day, he and his brother own probably 8 Fords. He out of the blue said "I think I am going to sell my tractor" and pointed to his 4630 with the loader on it. I said what you want for it? He gave me a price and I said let me see if I can sell the skidsteer and I'll be interested. Well it was all on Gods time and it worked out, man came bought the skidsteer and every attachment and didn't try to get me down on price at all. Called my friend and said I'm ready for the tractor. It's a 1993 model with 1,040 hours on it. Selling the skidsteer and buying the Ford I had enough money left for a used Woods 6' bush hog & a brand new Bush Hog 7' box scrape. I wouldn't have bought a Ford from just anyone, my friend owned it for 10+ years and I know it's a good one and been in the shed it's entire life (he knew the guy he got it from). I wouldn't have looked at Fords nor could I afford what I wanted (2355 J.D.) but it is what it is and I am happy. The more I run this Ford the more I like it, I grew up on a green tractor and that's why I'm partial to them. I would rather have a low hours tractor from 2000 back than I had any new one no matter what kind it is.

DITTO BROTHER !!!!

I bought a 1988 FORD 1920 FEL 4x4 (12 speed w/shuttle shift) two years ago, with 1056 hours.
I could afford a new tractor, but I did not WANT a new tractor!
My Ford 1920 is much heavier than an equivalent new tractor, has no plastic parts, does not use DEF, and has no electronic systems.
I pulled it apart, (I even put a new clutch in it just to be sure - the old clutch did look fine), sandblasted many parts, replaced parts, and sprayed on nice fresh Ford blue, and gray, added all new decals.
It looks like new!
It runs like new!
And ..... I like it BETTER than new!
Completed; I am into it for about $8000 less than new.
It is a little 32HP BEAUTY !!!

Last edited:
   / What is the best brand of tractor? #62  
LS is owned mostly by LG and Fiat, they also make NH and Case tractors now CNH. That was one of the twists I didn't know, I thought Case was still an American company and it's not, majority share holders are Fiat and LG after the Case/New Holland merge. So if you buy any one of those tractors, your getting a very similar product just rebadged. I read about guys buying a NH and it's stamped LS on the rear end.

The company now is LS Mtron. If they make the tractor, that name will be on the ID plate on the frame, regardless of what name is on the cowl decal. Some of the NH Boomer series are nearly identical to the LS line. Somewhere in these vaunted forums is a list of correlating models. They've also made tractors for McCormick and Montana.

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #64  
Hey coobie,

How do you like your boom poll? Been thinking about buying one mainly for dragging tops out of the woods.
?? I guess I don,t know what you mean boom poll?Land plane maybe?

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #65  
   / What is the best brand of tractor? #67  
   / What is the best brand of tractor?
?? I guess I don,t know what you mean boom poll?Land plane maybe?

It said on your profile you had a boom pole.

IMG_6639.JPG

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #69  
Man, I leave the shop for a couple hours and come back to chaos!!!! Are you guys talking about a boom pole which would go on the FEL? Or are you talking about a Land Plane that would go on the 3pt?? :)

EDIT: John shook my foggy brain. Yeah, boom pole that goes on the 3pt...... I have one that goes on my FEL. But what do I know??? :)

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #70  
Man, I leave the shop for a couple hours and come back to chaos!!!! Are you guys talking about a boom pole which would go on the FEL? Or are you talking about a Land Plane that would go on the 3pt?? :)

I don't think you missed much.:D