What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #21  
Here is a small one with laser. Even without the laser, they are good for land smoothing.

Bruce

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #22  
He said a 6 or 7 foot would be the biggest that I probably could pull as long as I wasn't going too deep with the disks. He suggested using a rototiller on the fields or have if plowed. After that to go over it with a disk harrow of grader planer. I can always drag a section of chain link fence over it afterwards if it still needs more leveling.

PTO powered Roto-tillers and Disc Harrows are both soil mixers and soil levelers. A Disc Harrow is perhaps a little better at soil leveling. One or the other. Both redundant. For six acres you can go with either without error.

Kioti DK4510 - dimensions

2015 - DK10 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Series next: Kioti DK5010

Dimensions:
Weight: 3373 lbs [1529 kg]
Wheelbase: 71.3 inches [181 cm]
Length: 124.3 inches [315 cm]
Width: 62.8 inches [159 cm]
Height (ROPS): 92 inches [233 cm]
Ground clearance: 15.2 inches [38 cm]
Front tread: 49.4 inches [125 cm]
Rear tread: 49.3 inches [125 cm]

A 4-WD tractor with a bare tractor weight of 3,373 pounds can effectively pull a Disc Harrow with discs 20 inches in diameter, as wide as the tractor rear wheels or a tad wider, through moist soil.

MORE ON DISC HARROW SELECTION:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...disc-harrow-selection-compact.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land
Here is a small one with laser. Even without the laser, they are good for land smoothing.

Bruce

That sure does work nice. I hate to even think about what that setup costs.

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land
PTO powered Roto-tillers and Disc Harrows are both soil mixers and soil levelers. A Disc Harrow is perhaps a little better at soil leveling.
One or the other. You do not need both.

I did not know that a pto rototiller would level off the ground behind it. I haven't look closely at one yet or checked them out. I do have a small JD one that is for a lawnmower type machine with a PTO setup. I think it is only 42 inches wide. Using that for this job would probably be like using a spoon to empty a load of sand out of a dump truck. I got this years ago with a bunch of other equipment from an estate sale.

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #25  
"I could also have my friend till the entire field with his huge land plow setup and then I could smooth it out using ?????"

Then use a disc:

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #26  
Then use a spike harrow/drag

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #27  
Then get some diapers, because it will be as smooth as a baby's bottom.

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #28  
I will have to respectfully disagree with suggestions to use tillage implements to level the OP's field. I feel that at least some type of grading implement is needed to get the field back to level. This is based on my interpretation of the description of the problems.

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #29  
i have about 6 acres of field that has been used for farm produce for many years. If you drive over this field East to West or vise versa it is smooth. If your travel North to South or vice versa it is like a washboard. We now want to make this field back into a nice easy to mow smooth field. What would be the easiest tools to use to make this project go along the fastest. The field is all weeds right now. It needs to be broken up.The edges of the planted areas all need to be lowered and graded to blend into the previous planted area. I already have a box blade, grader blade, rock root bucket and a landscape rake. The edges of the planting areas have really good sod that is going to need to be busted up to taper the edges of the field where it is slightly sunken down. Would it be better to rototill the entire area and then smooth it all out with a grader scraper? I could also have my friend till the entire field with his huge land plow setup and then I could smooth it out using ????? I have been reading about the grader scrapers and think that may be the best tool to flatten the ground back out. Would the grader scraper be the best tool to use to smooth out an area like this? Would rototilling the field be better than running a land plow all over it. I could also use my box blade to rip the entire field. Hopefully somebody has already dealt with this issue and can give me some advice.

I will have to respectfully disagree with suggestions to use tillage implements to level the OP's field. I feel that at least some type of grading implement is needed to get the field back to level. This is based on my interpretation of the description of the problems.

I agree that there is a difference between making it smooth vs. level. Tillage equipment will make it smooth and diminish humps and furrows, (easy to mow), but general contours will remain. If you want to remove a hill or make something absolutely flat and level, then a large grader, land leveler or earth mover would be the tool of choice.

/ What is the best tools for grading a field back to flat land #30  
Using a disc harrow would be a HUGE mistake. They have cupped discs to bring soil UP, not down, and that is what you want. You get some leveling with a disc harrow, but you end up picking rocks after every pass to get the job done.

I HATE PICKING ROCKS!

When I level fields, I land plow to make the soil as fluffy as deep as I can go (plow depth), then drag the biggest log I can across the field. The bigger, the more weight it has, and the longer, the flatter the field will be. The log also works well because it it is rounded so it pushes rocks down into the fluffed up soil (that is why you land plow as deep as you can).

I am using a 24 foot, 24 inch on the butt log in this picture, but I had the tractor (skidder) to do it. Just adjust the log size to what you can pull with what you got. A person can typically get a log free as well...free is betterer! (LOL)

DSCN4945.JPG

DSCN5173.JPG