What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
As I posted before, I am clearing several lots, and need a good chainsaw to tackle the bigger trees and can grind them down afterward with a stump grinder. But you really cant find out much of anything out of the stores on what works for solid pine and oak that we have down here. What is a good Chainsaw that starts on the first pull, lightweight but powerful, and doesnt breakdown after a day or two of heavy cutting..?

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #2  
As I posted before, I am clearing several lots, and need a good chainsaw to tackle the bigger trees and can grind them down afterward with a stump grinder. But you really cant find out much of anything out of the stores on what works for solid pine and oak that we have down here. What is a good Chainsaw that starts on the first pull, lightweight but powerful, and doesnt breakdown after a day or two of heavy cutting..?
Stihl or Husquevarna. But a stump grinder on a small tractor will take years to masticate even a small deck of logs, and no doubt will breakdown often. They are designed for landscaping use: an occasional stump in the yard, not for mastication of acres of forest biomass.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #3  
I use multiple saws to do clearing, plus a brushcutter to clear paths around trees.
I have a 60cc saw with 24" bar for big stuff
a 50cc for delimbing and cutting smaller trees with an 18 or 20" bar based on tree size
a Pole saw for small branches and thinker brush where I can't get to the stems easily.
I see others with smaller 30-40cc saws for smaller trees, the pole saw works for me as my "light" saw too.
Make sure you have plenty of plastic wedges and good PPE.

I am happy with my Echo saws, many others like Husky and Stihl.

What are the larger trees and how many?
Do you want to grind the stumps or try and uproot the trees?

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #4  
I use multiple saws to do clearing, plus a brushcutter to clear paths around trees.
a 50cc for delimbing and cutting smaller trees with an 18 or 20" bar based on tree size
a Pole saw for small branches and thinker brush where I can't get to the stems easily.
I see others with smaller 30-40cc saws for smaller trees, the pole saw works for me as my "light" saw too.

Echo also makes good equipment.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #5  
I am a firm believer in Stihl products, I have 3 saws and depending on what I am cutting determines which gets used. Big saw for felling, little one for limbing and the middle one for when I am to lazy to bother stopping to change saws.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #6  
always had 2 saws, larger & smaller. having a good smaller saw to me is safer & easier on fatigue, etc. in addition to larger.
i use Stihl MS261 16" bar, & MS 460 (now 462) 25" bar both are pro models & expensive.
many use Stihl MS360 as a good overall saw if you only want 1. having said that, as mentioned, Echo is a good name as well. main advice is to steer clear of consumer/ homeowner grade models in whatever name you get, in the same way as avoiding box store mowers, etc. i recommend pro models for optimum weight to power ratio, etc

in addition, most saws come with only 1 spiked dog on the body side. the dogs are also avail for the removable sprocket cover to give a more balanced support when you cut. having that extra leverage when cutting is an advantage.

get some chaps & helmet w/ear protectors along the way. be safe & take your time, regards

Last edited:
   / What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #7  
I am not sure you will find an easy start that will serve you purpose. Granted I have not looked into chainsaws for five years, so things could be different.
@jyoutz advice is sound. I like Stihl, I just have had good experiences with them and they take a beating. Do not under buy yourself. Look for a main saw with at least a 50 cc engine and do not be afraid to go a bit bigger, it will earn its keep. Also look into a smaller second saw as there will be times when it will be necessary.
wow i was slow posting!

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #8  
Reddogs, I'm about to sound like a butt here. Sorry in advance...

You are just going to have to start doing the work. There is no one answer for the vague questions you are asking. The "best" is always going to be dependent on a specific job, location, and personal preference. One person's best, another will hate. Guess what, they will both do the job. If you want a quality saw that will start on the first pull, that is as much dependent on you keeping it in shape as it is buying quality. A Poulan saw from Wal-Mart kept up with good maintenance is going to be a better saw than a $1,500 saw that gets left out in the rain. Go to a good mower shop/ Ace Hardware with whatever money you are prepared to spend and ask for help. Whatever brand they carry will probably be a great saw. Most places have a good, better, best, option on brands, or at least 2. Get the better or best brand.

Get the minimal equipment to get started and do the work. You will find that the answers will come to you. To me that is way better than figuring out what is "best" and buying great things that you just don't need. You don't need a stump grinder to start. Clear around the stump and move on.

Clearing land is just moving stuff out of the way. That's really all it is. It's going to be hard work. Good equipment will help... But it's hard work. I've done acres and acres of it with nothing more than a sling blade, chainsaw, weedeater and riding lawn mower. Once you get a little time doing the work you will think of something that will help you. Then you will have a knowledge base to make the decision.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?

I remember seeing Echo, who carries those?

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?
always had 2 saws, larger & smaller. having a good smaller saw to me is safer & easier on fatigue, etc. in addition to larger.
i use Stihl MS260 (now 262 i believe) 16" bar, & MS 460 (now 462) 25" bar both are pro models & expensive.
many use Stihl MS360 as a good overall saw if you only want 1. having said that, as mentioned, Echo is a good name as well. main advice is to steer clear of consumer/ homeowner grade models in whatever name you get, in the same way as avoiding box store mowers, etc. i recommend pro models for optimum weight to power ratio, etc

in addition, most saws come with only 1 spiked dog on the body side. the dogs are also avail for the removable sprocket cover to give a more balanced support when you cut. having that extra leverage when cutting is an advantage.

get some chaps & helmet w/ear protectors along the way. be safe & take your time, regards
Yes, that is what my neighbor told to me is one of the ones to check upfront..