What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain?

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #11  
I've 20 acres in the Santa Cruz mountains and it's steep. I had a few scary moments with my old Kubota B7100 even though I'd set the wheels as far out as possible. When I got my Branson I had the dealer put on lower profile wheels&tires from the 15 series and add 2" spacers to the rear. It's still not an ATV and there's lots of places I can't go but it's way more stable than the B7100 when I work across or turn on the gentler slopes.

I considered the PowerTrac etc and discarded them since they're expensive and not available to test drive before purchase.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain?
Thanks for all the suggestions,

I was researching and I found that the Massey Ferguson 2600H series has lower center of gravity and I'll probably go see one in the next week. I called the dealer and they also recommend filled tires, they also suggested R4 tires, he said that they are smaller diameter so they lower the tractor.

So I think that I'll go see them and I'll let you know what I decided.

Thanks again for your help,
Paul

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #13  
... It's funny, I'll chicken out, stop, get off, stand back and look and see that I'm not even close, then I tell myself "keep going no problem", then get back on, then chicken out again...

I had a similar experience. Once whilst raking hay, on a slope that I'd confidently raked the year before, and once whilst slashing an unfamiliar paddock. It just looked 'hairy'.

On the slashing job I stopped, hopped off the tractor & had a pipe to figure out what I was going to do. At one point in my pondering I took off my sunglasses and, suddenly, the angle wasn't as dangerous as I'd thought! Turns out that I was wearing my 'driving sunnies' (for seeing distance) and they were warping my 'close in' vision. :rolleyes:

I now wear only regular, non-prescription sunglasses when operating the tractor.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #14  
   / What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #15  
We added 4" spacers to each rear wheel of a Kubota L3800 on which the rear wheels were a fixed distance apart (due to having R4 tires and rims).

Good point! I have R4 rims & tyres and they are 'fixed'. I'm sure that adjustable wheels are available (= $) if you make a point to ask.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain?
I forgot to add, I'll be using the tractor for building roads on my mountain property, and clearing for a house, so I will need to move rocks and logs around also.

Someone asked where in WV, I'm located in hardy county WV.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #17  
I have a 1983 model Ford 4610 SU with the rears out as wide as possible. With loaded rears and front weights, ROPS, and canopy, I am right at 6K pounds in a very low wide tractor. I have some fairly steep terrain that I brush hog and the tractor is very stable. With my seat belt I feel very safe. My Workmaster 50 in 4WD and loaded rears is very stable but has a higher center of gravity. At north of 7K pounds with FEL and loaded rears it is stable also. The SU is still better on the slopes but the Workmaster is good too.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #18  
Power trac, or similar.? Think it has 3ph and all. Not sure about hp. Smallest diesel is 30 hp.

Ralph

No. Power Tracs don't have a 3pt hitch. All attachments are on the FEL arms, with the exception of the models that have a backhoe. With that said, you can easily weld a Power Trac quick attach plate to almost anything.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #19  
So just for fun... watch this video... Especially around the 3:15 mark to the end. You won't see anyone with any of the other machines mentioned in this thread trying that, because they can't. ;)

Note that the operators stay upright although the machine is on a severe slope. That's because the seat tilts automatically to keep the operator upright. It would be too uncomfortable, and dang near impossible, to stay in the seat on those side slopes.

Of course, many will say that a Power Trac is not a tractor. In a sense, it isn't. It's a tool.

They excel over standard tractors at many tasks, but in raw pulling power, a standard tractor has them beat. So if you're going to be pulling stumps, or plowing dirt, a conventional, standard tractor will be better suited to the job. However, if you're going to be moving dirt from point A to point B, downed wood, mowing hilly terrain, using a forklift, FEl work, snow plowing, things like that, the Power Trac works really well.

Anyhow, not trying to talk anyone into anything, but they are always worth a look. ;)

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #20  
Check out the Case IH JX series straddle tractors

JX Straddle Tractors | Case IH

They're called "straddle" because you sit lower on the tractor with your legs straddling the transmission. My 1964 MF135 diesel is a classic straddle tractor with a low center of gravity for maximum stability.

MF135 Steve stump.JPGMF135 stump1 (1).JPG

My 135 has been modified to squat very low for work in orchards. The rear rims are 16" dia instead of 28-32", the rear wheels are 18" wide (like those used on a combine or a bankout truck) and the front axle spindles have been shortened to keep the tractor level.

Good luck