What is the science behind the ROPS height?

/ What is the science behind the ROPS height? #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
None I'm sure...

I know alot of bx owners mention they could clear or do clear garage hieghts by an inch or less. Why doesn't Kubot make the rops to clear standard garages. :(

As I a B owner (7510) I may be wrong on the abouve statement but for my own tractor , 2-3 inches less and I could stop repairing the moulding on the garage, and get into my portable gargae as well with out lowering the rops....:(

And at 6'1" I would still have plenty of headroom, and the reduced height would not impact my proctection in a roll over, the "wedge" of safety of would be about the same...

I just bought the sun shade canopy and eager to intall it but not excited about haing to flip the rops every time. Currently the rops is only up when I need the extra protection...

I'm seriously thinking about chopping 3" off it!!!:eek: Here we go, time for every one to chime in....

Seriously, all it is is a hinged bolt and a second thru bolt... EASILY duplicated with a torch, or porta band saw and a welder...And with the second thru bolt (the one that holds it in the up position. the weld is really not that critical) Although I fully trust my welds, I just throw that out there for arguments sake....:rolleyes:

Maybe when my warranty is up...:D

Thoughts? I know you've thought about the same!!!!:cool:

/ What is the science behind the ROPS height? #3  
Easy..............the average door opening height is X inches. ROPS height must be X+2 inches. There's your science formula.

I think that is it a conspiracy from garage door repairers and siding repairers - they pay the ROPS mfg millions of dollars a yr to make the ROPS just taller than your garage.. LOL

b

/ What is the science behind the ROPS height? #4  
None I'm sure...

I know alot of bx owners mention they could clear or do clear garage hieghts by an inch or less. Why doesn't Kubot make the rops to clear standard garages. :(

As I a B owner (7510) I may be wrong on the abouve statement but for my own tractor , 2-3 inches less and I could stop repairing the moulding on the garage, and get into my portable gargae as well with out lowering the rops....:(

And at 6'1" I would still have plenty of headroom, and the reduced height would not impact my proctection in a roll over, the "wedge" of safety of would be about the same...

I just bought the sun shade canopy and eager to intall it but not excited about haing to flip the rops every time. Currently the rops is only up when I need the extra protection...

I'm seriously thinking about chopping 3" off it!!!:eek: Here we go, time for every one to chime in....

Seriously, all it is is a hinged bolt and a second thru bolt... EASILY duplicated with a torch, or porta band saw and a welder...And with the second thru bolt (the one that holds it in the up position. the weld is really not that critical) Although I fully trust my welds, I just throw that out there for arguments sake....:rolleyes:

The science is a diagonal line from the top of the ROPS to a point above the front axle deemed to be structurally able to support the weight of the tractor. Your head has to be below that imaginary line.

/ What is the science behind the ROPS height? #5  
I cut mine off for the exact reasons, of course the ROPs police on here had a hairy fit. It's my tractor and I figured up and shorter was better than folded down and shorter.

Attachments

• ROPS.JPG
    ROPS.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 268
   / What is the science behind the ROPS height? #6  
I would've want a lower one I'6'3" on a good day and when I run hoe I woulden't
want it any lower.

So when I built my grange i just put in 8' door and no problems .

tom

/ What is the science behind the ROPS height? #7  
The height of a factory ROPS is determined by a federal regulation:

Roll-Over Protective Structures - 70:76979-77025

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=18478

The top of the ROPS= 30'' inches above the highest point the part of the seat you sit on, can be set at. The inside dimension of the frame is 24" wide. I would assume these are minimum dimensions.

This is why ROPS are commonly 2" or so too high to go through a 7' garage door, not by oversight as many assume.

/ What is the science behind the ROPS height? #8  
I found out the hard way that my ROPS was higher than my garage opening on the next day after my garage was delivered! I knew it was but still forgot.

Attachments

• 0730091930.jpg
    0730091930.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 195
   / What is the science behind the ROPS height? #9  

On the B7500 the fixed rops is 4" shorter than the folding. I have a folding which is the same height as a fixed:eek:, fits in my 7' door just fine:D

You do not need the torch, you will need a drill and a grinder with slicer wheel to cut the weld out. The tube is quite thin, may blow thru with the gas wrench. People have looked at mine and cannot tell it from factory.

Maybe I went a bit overkill - I removed the hinge, closure plate etc then shortened the tube and welded all the hardware back on.

By the way all this was done on the top part only.

/ What is the science behind the ROPS height? #10  
None I'm sure...
1*And at 6'1" I would still have plenty of headroom, and the reduced height would not impact my proctection in a roll over, the "wedge" of safety of would be about the same...
1*I think it's more about head room operating the BH than about proctection in a roll over.