What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock?

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #1  

Kiteflyer

Tractor
JD 8110
I'm looking for a late model (2005 or newer) machine with a diff lock. What is the smallest deere lawn tractor that has one?

I have .8 acre to mow with several steep hills and a 75' driveway and want a good machine to blow snow really well.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #2  
x500 series,

I have a x540 and wholly recommend the diff lock. Makes a huge difference , even when mowing if you have any hills

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #3  
Yup. I was shopping last year for the exact same thing. The X500 is the lowest price John Deere lawn tractor with a diff lock.

//greg//

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock?
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

What's the better tractor, x534 or x540?

I think I would rate the 4 wheel steer more important to me than the liquid cooling. Ive used a 485 with 4ws and fuel injection/ liquid cooling so I'm familiar with both. The 485 is an awesome machine, just too big for my yard.

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #5  
Same decision i had to make.

how tight are your trees?

540 has the big deck so it saves me time, but if your trees are tighter than 54" you cant squeeze thru.

it turns pretty tight considering. I can edge around a 12" tree only backing up once (not an issue with hydrostatic). I can edge around mulched trees ~36" dia without backing up.

Overall very happy with the 540, plus theres less maintenance and complications with the straight axle. Hydraulic lift and steer is awesome.

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #6  
I had a hydraulic lift on a 430 that gave me nothing but problems. And in my mind power steering is a waste of money on such a small machine. There's considerable close work to be done on my yard and orchard, so I purposefully ordered an X500 with the smaller 48" deck. My no-frills X500 saved me big bucks over the bells and whistles variants, and does the same job as the most expensive of the bunch.

By the way, the diff lock ain't much good with the standard turf tires. I strongly recommend the more aggressive all purpose tires.

//greg//

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #7  
I would go with the 534. I wish I had the 4 wheel steering.

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock?
Here's a few more questions:

How does the foot pedal lift work with a snowblower, ala x500.

Is the x540 much quieter than the air cooled motors in the rest of the line?

How do the Heavy duty all purpose tires compare to R1 lugs? and Turf tires?

It looks like the x534 is heavier than the rest. Is that true?

Has anyone come up with a cab for the 500 series? I've seen the deere enclosures on the web site, do any of you have something better? ala, a curtis style cab for the 500's?

I haven't taken the time to go drive and see these in person, I hope to do that next week sometime. Work, kids, selling a house all get in the way!

I grew up on a 420 and loved that machine. The rear diff would enable it to climb out of ditches and really helped when pulling a two section drag. My dad traded the 420 for a 485 a few years ago and boy does the 485 rock. 4ws, fuel injection and liquid cooling. I was amazed at the jump in technology from the 420 to 485. The 485 really feels like a small tractor. I farm part time with my dad and we run many of it's big brothers. From a 9530T down to 3020's. John Deere makes great products, I look forward to buying my first mower. I'm glad I finally have a yard big enough (barely) to justify one! The 500 series is really too big for what I need, I should be looking at the small D series, but you know what they say about size!

/ What is the smallest Deere with a diff lock? #10  
Here's a few more questions:

How does the foot pedal lift work with a snowblower, ala x500.

Is the x540 much quieter than the air cooled motors in the rest of the line?

How do the Heavy duty all purpose tires compare to R1 lugs? and Turf tires?

It looks like the x534 is heavier than the rest. Is that true?

Has anyone come up with a cab for the 500 series? I've seen the deere enclosures on the web site, do any of you have something better? ala, a curtis style cab for the 500's?

The 540 is very quiet considering. Havent compared it to a air cooled kawi, but itw way quieter than the briggs it replaced.

HDAP is a good tire.. notice i said good. If you have any claylike mud, they WILL clog up and not clear. You WILL get stuck with both wheels spinning. That is the one issue i have with my machine. Id like to upgrade to bar tires for my conditions when funds permit. Honestly i notice little difference on lawn with the HDAP compared to turfs.

the diff lock is great crawling up off camber banks as you pointed out.

Also consider the rear tires on the 534 are smaller than the 540. And yes the 534 is heavier due to the added mechanisms from the 4ws