What is this lifting ?? tongs for ??

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #11  
Those might be homemade tongs but not good for logging. Most log tongs cross so the harder you pull the harder it bites.

You would have to pound the hooked ends into the log but I'm thinking they would still come loose .

View attachment 752488
I was thinking ice tongs that maybe could also have been used for lifting and moving hewn logs. As someone else mentioned, they would have been great to hang a hog or steer for butchering as well.

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #12  
This is what I bought a while back. I use it with a loggers chain to hook onto and pull out sections of trees that I have cut down and need to move out of the way. It has been very useful in those situations - and especially when you cannot get in close with the tractor.

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #14  
Here’s a pic of the ice tongs I got from my dad. He was born in 1900, so I’m guessing he actually used them in his ice box.

3876750B-7BCB-4860-8DBA-5FEBF5D5D8D3.jpeg

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #15  
Here’s a pic of the ice tongs I got from my dad. He was born in 1900, so I’m guessing he actually used them in his ice box.

View attachment 752542
They were also used for harvesting the ice. That was quite an industry, back before refrigeration made it into people’s homes.

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #17  
It was probably discarded when it did not work for anything useful...:D

And you found it a few decades later...BUT holding a pot over a fire might be a possibility...LOL

/ What is this lifting ?? tongs for ?? #19  
Could it be used for a pot over a fire.
VroomVroom,

Of all the comments, I believe yours is closest to the actual use based upon its simple design (not bow legged for points to reach around an object), lack of leverage for driving the points into something ( no pivot point ), and no hand holds.

You are the winner of the mystery prize