What is this on the back fender?

/ What is this on the back fender? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm not ready to buy my big cab tractor yet, but I do enjoy looking at them from time to time and day dreaming about the day I can make it happen. Some of them have these buttons on the back fender and some don't. I'm guessing that they have something to do with the lift arms, but that's just a guess. I've tried to figure out the name of this feature, but haven't had any luck.

00H0H_3AJ0VCVhXv9_1200x900.jpg

What is this called? I'd like to look it up on youtube if possible. I'd also like to know if it's something that I want or need.

Thanks

/ What is this on the back fender? #2  
One of those is obviously a PTO button which I don't think should ever be on a rear fender. What make model tractor is that?

Here is a video on John Deere's hitch assist.

Last edited:
   / What is this on the back fender? #3  
Yellow is PTO and the others raise and lower the lift arms

/ What is this on the back fender? #4  
The yellow button - start/stop the PTO. The other two - raise/lower the 3-point arms. Both would be handy if you have a cabbed unit. My M6040 is open station. I still would like the raise/lower function. It's very difficult to see the ball ends of the 3-point arms when using my normal hydraulic 3-point lever while stand along side the tractor. I can climb up on the seat - turn around and look over the back of the seat - use my left hand on the hydraulic lever. No matter how I do it - sort of a PITA.

/ What is this on the back fender? #5  
Two buttons are the lift arms one for up one for down,
the yellow button is for the PTO, on most of them a quick push jogs the pto, push and hold for 3-5 seconds and the pto will stay running, it starts when you push the button if you let off too soon it stops.
If you do much stationary pto work such as unloading self unloading wagons you would know why it is much appreciated.
Lou

/ What is this on the back fender? #6  
They raise and lower the 3pt hitch. JD and probably others have a system that also allows you to move the tractor forward and backwards.

Probably what the other switch locations are for?? :confused3:

My opinion is a good quick hitch system is all that is needed.

As far as the PTO button. As mentioned good for stationary equipment.

/ What is this on the back fender? #7  
I've seen the lift arm buttons before. They'd seem handy when hooking up equipment without a quick hitch.
I've never seen the (secondary) PTO button there before. It'd seem handy like Lou said, or for a logging winch. But I bet it means having a electric PTO that slams in the PTO. I wouldn't want that for a lot of application like turning on a chipper, mower, baler, anything with a high inertia.

Having the combination of the two right there could be handy, but it's also going to lead to somebody running a post hole digger from a bad spot when it needs "just a little bit of weight" pushed on it and they're by themselves. Oh well, you can't idiot proof the world.

/ What is this on the back fender? #8  
A proper designed PTO has softstart.

/ What is this on the back fender? #9  
My JD 5100M has the yellow PTO button on the rear fender. It is used to help you align the splines of the tractor PTO shaft with the implement shaft. It doesn’t enable you to run the PTO at 540 rpm, it only allows you to very slow jog it for alignment purposes.

The black buttons are for raising and lowering the 3pt links.

/ What is this on the back fender? #10  
I made a simple mechanical lever tied to the "factory" linkage to lift/lower the lift arms while standing at the rear of the tractor. It's a very nice feature to have while attaching heavy Cat 2 implements.