Comparison What is this tractor on the this ad?

/ What is this tractor on the this ad? #1  

Denwa

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B20
What and why is this strange looking tractor with the big nose that's used on the Machine Underground web link (with no reference anywhere that I can find)?

I've seen one of these wierd looking machines locally, but it was blue as I recall. Whazit??? Make/model etc. If anyone has or knows of one, what are they like? Why are they designed the way they are? Steering around obstacles would take some extra practice with that long snout!

http://www.gatorattachments.com/wp-content/uploads/mu.png
(hope this link works)

Mostly curious,
Dennis (WA)

/ What is this tractor on the this ad? #2  
Re: What is this tractor on the Machine Underground add?

What and why is this strange looking tractor with the big nose that's used on the Machine Underground web link (with no reference anywhere that I can find)?

I've seen one of these wierd looking machines locally, but it was blue as I recall. Whazit??? Make/model etc. If anyone has or knows of one, what are they like? Why are they designed the way they are? Steering around obstacles would take some extra practice with that long snout!

http://www.gatorattachments.com/wp-content/uploads/mu.png
(hope this link works)

Mostly curious,
Dennis (WA)

it kinda looks like an early non-articulated 4wd. to steer both axles turn.
the ones I have seen are fairly short lenghtwise and the 4ws definitely keeps its nose out of trouble. if you want to see a long nose look @ this!

3588.jpg

that picture really doesn't convey how long the nose/hood is but it IS long, the whole engine is ahead of the front axle (to keep the hood low)
We had one of these when I was growing up and it is unconventional looking but definetely had advantages once you got used to it! I would love to still have it and have a use for it!

/ What is this tractor on the this ad? #3  

Excuse spelling, but start looking at Landini. That looks like one.

/ What is this tractor on the this ad? #4  

That is a late 70s-early 80s series 88 tractor by International Harvester.

I see the the references to smaller, Italian articulated tractors above but these are two entirely different beasts.

The tractor is generally referred to as a "4 wheel drive" but it was more than that and something a little different. IH made large articulated 4wd tractors for heavy ag and pulling at the time (4186, 4386, 4586, etc) but this tractor was designed as a specialized extra-capable row crop tractor. IH had a notion that people wanted a medium ag tractor with more traction and power and in a way they were right but their execution of the theory was flawed. Most of these tractors were bought and used as heavy articulated rigs (which they were not designed nor built as) and as result the tractor failed many an owner. It developed a bad reputation while at the same time modern FWA was being introduced industry-wide on the medium ag tractor market.

Most farmers of the era would have referred to it as a "failure" but at the same time it was designed, marketed, and used in ways that it was not really intended to be. As for maneuverability, the tractor was designed for field work and not general purpose utility work and thus it's arrangement was not an issue.

http://www.patpowell.com/ih_3588_tractor.htm

/ What is this tractor on the this ad? #5  
   / What is this tractor on the this ad? #6  

your right that looks tobe an 88 series IH 4x4 tractor.could be a 4388 or a 4588 an it could be a 4788.

/ What is this tractor on the this ad? #9  

thats one strange looking tractor there

Not really when you consider the vintage.

Looks like a similiar vintage Deere 8010 to me.

285989-8010-john-deere.jpg

/ What is this tractor on the this ad? #10  

That is a late 70s-early 80s series 88 tractor by International Harvester.

I see the the references to smaller, Italian articulated tractors above but these are two entirely different beasts.

The tractor is generally referred to as a "4 wheel drive" but it was more than that and something a little different. IH made large articulated 4wd tractors for heavy ag and pulling at the time (4186, 4386, 4586, etc) but this tractor was designed as a specialized extra-capable row crop tractor. IH had a notion that people wanted a medium ag tractor with more traction and power and in a way they were right but their execution of the theory was flawed. Most of these tractors were bought and used as heavy articulated rigs (which they were not designed nor built as) and as result the tractor failed many an owner. It developed a bad reputation while at the same time modern FWA was being introduced industry-wide on the medium ag tractor market.

Most farmers of the era would have referred to it as a "failure" but at the same time it was designed, marketed, and used in ways that it was not really intended to be. As for maneuverability, the tractor was designed for field work and not general purpose utility work and thus it's arrangement was not an issue.

IH-3588 Tractor

we had a 3588 and it was not "flawed' in my eyes, we used it as it was intended. ours was never dualed and that was the biggest failure point with them. people would buy them, put duals all the way around and then turn them up and pull big equipment with them. that caused final drive failures due to overloading. Ours was used for everything from mowing hay to field work and it never let us down, the only repairs we had to do to it was a couple clutches and a torque amplifier in over 10,000 hrs. We were only able to get it stuck once in that time.

So IMHO, it was BRILLIANT if used as advertised and designed.