What is this?

/ What is this? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Load on a flatcar, probably pre-WWI.

Agricultural? Industrial? Alien spaceship machinery? :)

load.jpg

Bruce

/ What is this? #2  
Some sort of piston part for a (obviously LARGE) mine pump? You need to extract a lot of water from a mine. :confused3:

/ What is this? #3  
It looks like a water jacket around the cylinder for cooling purposes, so I'd have to guess some sort of large single cylinder engine. Possibly a large engine to drive a compressor in a natural gas compressor station..?? Something similar to this..?? Coolspring 2017 - Air Starting The 600 HP Snow - YouTube

/ What is this? #4  
Interesting. I did a Google image search, and the only thing they could come up with was a "Churchill Tank"; i.e. a WWII military tank. I don't even have a W.A.G., but I don't think it is a water pump, especially for a mining operations, nor do I think it is designed to handle a piston. Seems right behind the opening the thing narrows, so the opening either doesn't go much farther, or it changes shape drastically.

If form follows function, I would focus on the wheel on the far left. I would guess that is the functional part of the thing, but I can't imagine what it would be designed to do. The thing is not in good focus, so detail is lacking, but it doesn't have a lot of piping, attachments, etc. so maybe it's not too complicated.

I suppose it could be designed to process materials of some sort...like a rock crusher...with the material going into the opening and coming our around the wheel. In that case, it more than likely would we lying on its side as we see it on the RR car.

/ What is this? #9  
Postcard says two pretty girls in a railroad yard cart. Early 1900s. My $.02 guess it's part of a steam engine...looks like an incline ramp so that would be part of the assembly process. They roll that up on rails. Maybe exploded views of early 1900s steam engines you could figure out what it is.