What is up with battery sizing?

/ What is up with battery sizing? #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have a small FarmTrac and finally need a new battery. The original one is 6.25" deep and 11.5" long. Looking at the battery sizing chart there is nothing that size. The battery is an Excide Commercial heavy duty. I could go as long as 13.25" but I can only go upto 6.5" deep. AutoZone had something 6.5" deep and significantly shorter. It has 550CA so it will turn over the engine. I didn't think finding a battery would be so difficult.

/ What is up with battery sizing? #2  
There are many compacts with insufficient battery output in mind. The one's they put in are just too small especially for winter turn over. They don't last as long as a result.
My old JD 750 had a battery the size of a bread box and at least they made the battery box able to handle that size.. That Yuasa lasted 16 years. The Sears Diehard Gold to replace it lasted 13 years and was still in the tractor when I traded it in.
The Interstate I have in mine is 7 yrs old and getting tired already. Just too small including the space not afforded to put in a more powerful battery.

/ What is up with battery sizing? #3  
What group size was the original???

/ What is up with battery sizing? #4  
I've found this useful.

Group Numbers, Dimensional Specifications, Polarity & Terminals​

Bruce

/ What is up with battery sizing?
Those are the tables I looked through but nothing matched the battery I had. There were no marking on the battery to indicate size. I found one number that might have been the CA but that was only a guess. If it was then the original was 480CA and the new is 550CA. The original lasted 7 years and when it was giving me problems last fall I noticed one cell was dry. I filled it and put is on a charger but it didn't come back.

/ What is up with battery sizing? #7  
Group 51 and 51R are fairly common CUT batteries and would fit your space. 51's have NewHolland applications and the 51R's are used in some Kubota's and Deeres.

/ What is up with battery sizing? #8  
It's going to be hit/miss until somebody can tell you what group size it is. Doesn't your Operators Manual give you that info.