What Is Wrong With People Who Don't Trim Their Zipties?

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
Those people are not to be associated with by decent folk.
C81768CB-347B-4371-A6B5-6968E150202C.jpeg

Oops!

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Well, for one thing, the long end isn't as sharp as a cut end. I've snagged a finger pretty good on those sharp cutoff ends more than once when reaching into an area where I couldn't see real well.

I've also been able to use a small screwdriver to release tywraps and use them again. Can't do that with a cutoff nubbed one.

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
To cut, or not to cut. That is always the question.

I cut for aesthetic reasons, or clearance/functional reasons. If you don't care how it looks, and don't need it trimmed, why bother? Like Diggin said, I have also cut my hands more than once on cut zip ties, which isn't fun.

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
Yeah I usually reach for my "end-cutter" or "cutting nipper" pliers.

1652298397426.png

jjeff

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
same stuff. but just bought for whatever you want to use it for. I have a few on my weather station setup. good for permanent fencing, wiring, etc.
Those things will cut you like a razor blade in my experience, last cv boot I replaced, still have the scar, that day I bought special pliers for the clamps so three years later they are unused cause I haven't needed to replace one of those clamps since lol.

Attachments

• 1652300329021717399147978538861.jpg
    1652300329021717399147978538861.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL

What Is Wrong With People Who Don't Trim Their Zipties?​

They are wild psychotic mass-murdering sociopaths. The DSM 17 has a whole chapter dedicated to this bizarre mental illness.
Reading the DSM is a sign of mental illness or that you are a psychiatrist. And if my psychiatrist friends are any indication the two things are about the same. ;-)

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Being of Scottish lineage I reuse the big ones.
So do I. It probably took twice as long to unpack my sawmill vs if I had used a pair of wire cutters. Yet now I have a supply of very heavy duty zip ties.

I very rarely use the small ones, although I keep several sizes around. It's a lot easier to untie a piece of shoe lace or parachute cord, or if it's something permanent I use some of the duct tape which God gave us for the purpose.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80

jjeff

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150

OP
npalen

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
I have to respect the idea of not cutting them so can be reused. Dang things are getting expensive!

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
LOL, a pet-peeve of mine too, especially after 32+ years in the telecom business!

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
In the telecom company I worked for it was quality demerits for not cutting zip ties flush.... PERIOD.....Learned to cut them flush and still do today after retirement ... Still have scars from some doofus that was not a believer in flush cutting at the "knot"....

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
When I'm using them where I know that my hands and fingers are going to be in there working I like to use a soldering gun with the large flat head after cutting them just a quite swipe and they are nice and smooth and will not ever slip off.
If there is plenty of room and they won't be in the way I often don't cut them. Of course I also double wrap many of them.

OP
npalen

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
When I'm using them where I know that my hands and fingers are going to be in there working I like to use a soldering gun with the large flat head after cutting them just a quite swipe and they are nice and smooth and will not ever slip off.
If there is plenty of room and they won't be in the way I often don't cut them. Of course I also double wrap many of them.
"double wrap" Now that is a simple idea that I've never thought of! Double the strength.

LukeL

Tractor
John Deere 650, 445, 330, 317, and more
Every zip tie I install gets cut off. Even if it’s in an impossible place. Just the thought of one uncut bothers me.

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018),Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969)
I have banned zipties from my home all together.
there should be a BAD Post option here ... hahaha :) - they are so very useful IMO

Anybody tried stainless steel zip ties?
sounds like wire ???

sometimes I trim, sometimes I don't ... only bothers my wife's OCD

I have to respect the idea of not cutting them so can be reused. Dang things are getting expensive!
if you use them properly, they are secured and tight, as per intended purpose. If you keep them loose / reversed, they can be re-used, and slipped apart - in that case, no point in trimming.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
If you have ever reached into a tight area and "snagged" your hand or forearm on a cut off tie - you know why they are left long.

frcnLS

Tractor
LS MT240HE
Either leave them long or twist them until they break off right where the come through the socket.

OP
npalen

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
there should be a BAD Post option here ... hahaha :) - they are so very useful IMO

sounds like wire ???

sometimes I trim, sometimes I don't ... only bothers my wife's OCD

if you use them properly, they are secured and tight, as per intended purpose. If you keep them loose / reversed, they can be re-used, and slipped apart - in that case, no point in trimming.
I was thinking they can be released, even if tight, by depressing the locking tab with a small flat blade screwdriver?

Tractor
MF 1533 Hydrostatic c/w FEL - Quick Attach Bucket & Forks
Leave them long....Loose an eye. They are great eye pokers. If trimmed properly, they aren't a problem. If working on job site or service center, occupational health, requires that they are to be trimmed

tjandrews

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case SC, IH 424, JD 4600
What's wrong with those who don't cut them? The same thing that's wrong with people who are OCD about them being cut.

Kschwennsen

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere Z530M and 4105
just cut them long and at an angle.

I use alot of electric fence wire and tape. I have zip tied my work lights and extra tool box on my JDs though...

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I guess this could be an initial design issue at the use management level. Or possibly someone feels that the sun will not affect the zip tie if all the heat is dispersed by the proportionally long tail, leaving the loop unaffected by sunlight. Or.........Maybe not.

rgr33

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 950. LS g3033. Kubota RTV 900. Exmark Lazer Z
Two great ideas from LouNY, that my Swiss cheese brain would never think of.
melt the sharp ends with a soldering iron
double wrap a zip tie

Appreciate the tip, and this is the kind of thing I love about this site.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
I've saved those long TIES that they use for election posters.

Handy around a tractor for hoses etc.
Dan things are sure costly.

I rigged a hook blade at the end of a pole so as to liberate them from arms length.

joea99

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
did you know there is a zip tie gun? I didn't either till I needed to do 400 of them. I bought one similar to this. its goes quick and cuts flush

https://www.amazon.com/Fastening-Cu...906d04425cc06&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
Yes I do. Used it a lot. One day, I got a call from my eldest son's school (middle grade) that my son had been caught in school with "a gun" and they were calling the Police.

Turns it it was the bright orange zip tie gun that he took, without asking, to show his friends. Some little flower asked him what it was heard "gun" and freaked out and it went down hill from there. The Troopers refused to act on the matter, but there WAS a School Hearing on the matter. It was quite bizzare as I attempted to acquaint school board members with the difference between WEAPONS called guns and TOOLS called guns. In the end their fall back was "the little girl was scared". They did not take kindly to my observation that perhaps, just perhaps, the school, or (gasp!) the parents, might try a bit of reality orientation with these fragile flowers. The Trooper in attendance (as per protocol) was getting a kick out of the whole thing.

Funny, my kid is over 30 now and I haven't seen that zip tie TOOL in a decade or more. Hmmm.