What is wrong with this idea

/ What is wrong with this idea #51  
<font color=blue>Now having a two speed wheel motor is a great idea.</font color=blue>

An alternative approach is a variable displacement pump--this is the approach that PT already uses because it provides speed control. If setting the treadle to minimum displacement (and speed) does not resolve the stalling problem on a steep grade I doubt that two speed motors would resolve it.

Additionally, a major difficulty with 2 speed motors may be that there are 4 wheel motors and the control mechanism to shift all motors at the same time could be complex, particularly to get a "soft" shift.

/ What is wrong with this idea #52  
edambrose

I was able to find the same light PT uses at Car Quest for about $10 per light. I don’t recall for sure, but I think these lights are 35 watts or so. I didn’t want to add lights that would be significantly more powerful because I was concerned about the strength of the Kohler alternator and wanted to use the existing switch and wiring harness. With all four lights on, it really makes a huge difference. Also, I left the top lights a little loose so I can aim them with my hand if needed. Highly recommended.

/ What is wrong with this idea #53  
<font color=green> but I am concerned with only 5 more hp over the 425 yet it weighs twice as much seems that 20 more would be more appropriate - I just wish I could talk to someone with a 1430 </font color=green>

This is my exact concern as well. I would upgrade to a 1430 in a second if I were comfortable that the extra power was worth the extra (almost double) cost. I wanted to test a 1430 the week of Thanksgiving, when I happened to be driving by the factory, but they were closed the entire week. Because the 1430 uses a diesel engine with more torque, it may be fine for my needs. However, without a test, I’m not ready to take the leap. And the fact that almost no one seems to buy the 1430 may be a signal.

On the other hand, the 425 is almost the perfect size for my use. What it needs is 10 more HP and/or 20 more Ft/lbs of torque. I’m sure that with the enough effort, one could figure out how to drop a bigger engine in. At low speeds, a bigger engine would not stress the tractor that much because the wheels would loose traction, or the release valves would cut in, before any damage is done. And at higher speeds, such as mowing a field, the extra torque would be invaluable (although one would have to keep an extra eye on the hydraulic oil temperature). Further, it would be easy to resale a 25HP Kohler since they are commonly used in lots of other equipment. Hmmmm.

/ What is wrong with this idea #54  
pajoube, thanks. If I can get back down to the factory to test drive the 1430, maybe I can make a decision. If I get serious about trading, I'll send you a private note first.

Hey Charlie, Hans, et al.? When is the next yearly pilgrimage to the factory? Maybe I can hitch a ride with you. I can meet you on 81 or 66, whichever is convenient. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ What is wrong with this idea #55  
<font color=green> yes both - but the 48 is being returned when I purchase the new one - basically I bought that one first - it takes too long to finish with that one </font color=green>

When I was buying my PT, one of the guys at the factory told me the 48” mower would mow just as fast as the 60” mower. Due to the small cost difference, and the fact that I couldn’t see how that could be true, I bought the 60” anyway. However, in retrospect, I wonder if the 48” wouldn’t have been a better choice because I could add a wing mower, while, hopefully, still maintaining a decent top speed.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your 425 to 1400/1800 adaptor if you go that route.

/ What is wrong with this idea #56  
<font color=red>Charlie - you really don't like it? - my slopes are up to 20 degrees. </font color=red>
Ed: When I said I don't much like it, I didn't mean that I would remove it or lock it out. It is just that it has been a bit of a maintenance challenge, and really doesn't seem necessary. The seat is tilted by a double acting hydraulic cylinder, controlled by a three position solenoid controlled valve. The valve, in turn, is activated by circuits which are opened or closed by fairly simple - read cheap - mercury switches in brackets which are adjustable by loosening a single mounting screw, turning the bracket, and tightening the screw, which invariably moves the bracket. There are no index lines for reference and no guidance in the book. Terry advised to set them "about a quarter inch" of tilt. When the system stops working, for instance when the throttle cable knocks a connector off the tilt solenoid, the seat threatens to dump you over the side. And, I found it more reliable after running a solid ground wire to the seat electrical box, instead of counting on the general frame ground. But, having said all that, the system has been pretty good for a while now.
I, too, mow a fair amount on slopes, some which seem really steep, and therefore are probably 20 degrees or more. They are steep enough that the PT will not hold the hill unless I crab, with the single turfs. The tilt seat does level reasonably well on those areas, but to get it to do so consistently, you have to set the mercury switches so it is fairly busy just driving around and cornering. Having the seat tilt with the machine, it seems to me, wouldn't be very uncomfortable, and discomfort could really be minimized with a couple of simple wedge bolsters, so you don't slide sideways as much. I have spent a lot of time on sailboats, and tilting isn't uncomfortable to me at all. (Uncontrolled sliding down the hill, on the other hand, raises my pucker factor, and was a major reason to get the PT and mow the slopes previously done for years, and numerous slides, with a John Deere 950 and 72" Woods single spindle brush hog.)
You may really like the tilt seat. I just haven't been enthralled with the added complexity and, to me, minimal real benefit.

/ What is wrong with this idea #57  
<font color=red>Or then we could just take on those jobs that need a bigger machine by taking smaller bites. </font color=red>
Sedgewood
That's a sage observation, based on the wisdom of your advanced years, which I know to be the same as mine. Why is it, then, that Bubenberg, chronologically our peer, still holds that the only definition of success is biting off more than he can chew -- and then chewing it.

/ What is wrong with this idea #58  
Duane - I don't think PT will help us - I only stumbled on to the fact that the 1430 uses 2000 series Char Lynn and the 1845 uses 4000 series - it looks like only the 2000 series and 10000 series has a two speed version
but the only way we would know the entire picture is to know the actually unit (displacement) because each model has different sizes - the pump is supposed to be an Eaton on the 1430 and a Sunstrand on the 1845 - now if we could find out the displacement of the wheel motors - we would know what the pump is putting out (or supposed to be putting out) by backing into it based on the advertised top speed of the unit (ie we know what the tire size is - and therefore can figure out the wheel motor rpm)

All this is nice - but we need to know more info

Any ideas? - I have tried every angle - they simply will not tell me any of this "Specification" information no matter who I talk to - they are well trained

/ What is wrong with this idea #59  
RE

An alternative approach is a variable displacement pump--this is the approach that PT already uses because it provides speed control. If setting the treadle to minimum displacement (and speed) does not resolve the stalling problem on a steep grade I doubt that two speed motors would resolve it.

That does not seem right - you would be increasing the variable volume transmission to achieve the same speed
when you increase the volume of the trans - you produce more torque - Right?

/ What is wrong with this idea
that is a deal ... just remind me/us ... maybe that can be little bit better organized on all sides