Buying Advice What Should I Buy?

/ What Should I Buy? #1  

Behrend II

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XG3140H
Hello,

My B2400 HST is dying on me and I'm considering upgrading...I own a small property and would like a little larger tractor. I think I've overused an undersized tractor for too long and am finally paying the price. I use the tractor for landscaping, driveway grading, snow removal (with FEL & rear blade), hauling firewood etc. I would also like to get something large enough to handle a 5' or possibly 6' Rotary Cutter and I've been interested in a 3 pt log splitter. I will be buying something used and would like to stay under $20,000. I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Tom

/ What Should I Buy? #2  
A few Q's
How big a "small property"?
What's the terrain like ? Flat? Hilly? Swamp? Mountains?
Do you already have a cutter?
Are you sure you want a 3 pt splitter?
How big a load do you carry? A 10' log can weigh over 1,000 lbs.
Any other attachments?

For example I needed to carry 1,000lbs on the FEL, ended up getting a Kubota M4700 (50HP) for $11,500. IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg

/ What Should I Buy? #3  
You need a 50% incremental increase in tractor weight and horsepower before you REALLY notice it. Weight being more important than horsepower.

So seek a tractor with a bare weight of 2,400 to 3,000 pounds and around 36 to 40 horsepower. This is enough weight and horsepower to cut tall grass with a 60" rotary cutter.

Electric log splitters, used in your driveway, are cheaper and simpler than Three Point Hitch mounted log splitters.
220 volt models are faster than 110 volt models.

LINK: Google

Home Depot and Lowe's offer electric log splitters on their web sites.

TractorData.com Kubota B24 tractor information

Last edited:
   / What Should I Buy? #4  
Replacing by used with a budget is often about what is available that will do what you need.

/ What Should I Buy?
Newbury:

Property - 10 acres - very hilly and wooded

About an acre and a half of pasture that I would mow with the cutter. I've mowed it with my 54" MM mower in the past...which I believe has contributed to the demise of my tractor!

I do not currently have a cutter

I'm not sold one way or the other on the 3 pt splitter vs. a gas splitter

Probably want at least 1,000 lbs carrying capacity on the FEL

I currently have a 48" box blade that I have used to move quite a bit of earth with my B2400 - Most of the soil in my area is heavy clay...furthering the demise of my tractor!

Like I said...I believe I've pushed the little B2400 well beyond it's intended limits!

/ What Should I Buy?
Newbury - The terrain in the picture you posted of your M4700 looks like it could be taken on my property in western WI!

/ What Should I Buy? #7  
   / What Should I Buy?
Hi Jeff, thanks for the link. I honestly haven't considered electric splitters before...I guess I was thinking of the little DR splitters that fit on a tabletop!

/ What Should I Buy? #9  
How many hours are on your kubota?

3 point splitters are great if you need to split in remote areas or move around a lot. If you split in one spot an electric might have some advantages. I have a 3 point and wish I had just bought an electric to start with as I split in the same spot every time.

/ What Should I Buy? #10  
Newbury:

Property - 10 acres - very hilly and wooded

About an acre and a half of pasture that I would mow with the cutter. I've mowed it with my 54" MM mower in the past...which I believe has contributed to the demise of my tractor!

I do not currently have a cutter

I'm not sold one way or the other on the 3 pt splitter vs. a gas splitter

Probably want at least 1,000 lbs carrying capacity on the FEL

I currently have a 48" box blade that I have used to move quite a bit of earth with my B2400 - Most of the soil in my area is heavy clay...furthering the demise of my tractor!

Like I said...I believe I've pushed the little B2400 well beyond it's intended limits!
Ten acres of hilly and wooded would keep me on the lookout for a 40ish horsepower Kioti (they tend to be heavier than the Kubotas) and a 5 foot cutter.
I really like my Kubotas but they are a little on the light side, even with loaded tires.
good luck.