What size boards should I cut on saw mill?

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #31  
Yes! I had heard before to only put one row of nails into green batts, but until his post I always thought they meant nail 1 side, and do the other when it's seasoned.
I "board and baton" the same way all the old time barns where I live, were done.

I saw out battens the same way I mill stickers, I just start out with thicker boards,

IMG-2311-S.jpg

As for the boards, I examine the grain and butt them side to side "tight" and so as if they cup, they will cup out/away from the building, then putting a screw in the center of the board.

With that done, I put the batons centered over, where the boards come together, then putting a nail centered in the baton, so the nail will go between the boards. That way the boards can move freely.

IMG-2315-S.jpg

It makes for a nice old timey look, that last.

SR

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #32  
I "board and baton" the same way all the old time barns where I live, were done.

I saw out battens the same way I mill stickers, I just start out with thicker boards,

IMG-2311-S.jpg

As for the boards, I examine the grain and butt them side to side "tight" and so as if they cup, they will cup out/away from the building, then putting a screw in the center of the board.

With that done, I put the batons centered over, where the boards come together, then putting a nail centered in the baton, so the nail will go between the boards. That way the boards can move freely.

IMG-2315-S.jpg

It makes for a nice old timey look, that last.

SR
I always wondered how to keep the boards from splitting as they dried. Now I know. 👍
I always used air dried lumber with two rows of nails, but it's a lot better to put up hemlock as soon as it comes off the mill.