What size boards should I cut on saw mill?

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill?
The ends of the logs have anchor seal on them. There is still some end checking but not bad.The ash has the least. I cut the white oak that I'll use for built in shelves almost two feet longer than what I'll need. Might need to reapply anchor seal if any of the ends need to be removed during or after milling.

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #12  
I had the same dilemma regarding what size to cut. I've settled on 1 1/4 inch as it is very versatile. After drying you have 1", or can plane it to 3/4" if needed.

I've read that you should put your stickers right near the edge of the cut lumber. And that cracking (even with anchorseal) will stop at the first sticker.

This hasn't been my experience. I've been working madrone wood (which is notorious for being difficult) and it is cracking well past the end stickers.

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #13  
I had the same dilemma regarding what size to cut. I've settled on 1 1/4 inch as it is very versatile. After drying you have 1", or can plane it to 3/4" if needed.

I've read that you should put your stickers right near the edge of the cut lumber. And that cracking (even with anchorseal) will stop at the first sticker.

This hasn't been my experience. I've been working madrone wood (which is notorious for being difficult) and it is cracking well past the end stickers.
Another thing, if you plan to use it for finished use; your stickers should be the same species as your wood. Don't ask me why, but we were told that at a commercial hardwood mill so hopefully they know what they are talking about.

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #14  
Another thing, if you plan to use it for finished use; your stickers should be the same species as your wood. Don't ask me why, but we were told that at a commercial hardwood mill so hopefully they know what they are talking about.
I've had wood pick up a stain when the stickers were a different species. It was very deep, like a quarter inch into the wood, no way to sand it out. With linseed oil and age it eventually just looked like part of the character of the wood but initially it looked terrible.

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #15  
I've had wood pick up a stain when the stickers were a different species. It was very deep, like a quarter inch into the wood, no way to sand it out. With linseed oil and age it eventually just looked like part of the character of the wood but initially it looked terrible.
That is good to know. They told us why, but it was a few years ago and I couldn’t remember.

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #16  
Back to size -
I'll think about the 6 inch cants but would like to get this wood cut up and bring it back home to put in my basement to dry.
Now your narrowing down usage -
It's hard to determine "size" - if your putting it in your basement to dry what's the max length you can fit down the path you have to go?
Do you have to hand carry?
I put several 10' x 2"+ in my shed through a walkout door. That was 10 years ago. I could not do that today (they were so heavy).
Now if you have a forklift you can drive into the basement, or 4 more strong people to help 6" would make sense.
You can ALWAYS make them smaller, but making larger and gluing up is a whole 'nother thing.

My basement is only accessible by foot or wagon. I'll just cut boards rather than cants. If I cut cants and put them in the basement I'd have to haul them back down to the cabin to cut them up.

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #18  
just curious...have you mastered the art of cutting stickers ?

any plans in your future of a HD planer ?

just curious...have you mastered the art of cutting stickers ?

any plans in your future of a HD planer ?
I've got a big pile of 1x1 and 1x2 stickers.

My father-in-law has a basic Dewalt planer that he said I could use but so far no plans for anything more than that at present.

My current (long range) lumber plans are for a stick built shop with 2x6 studs and board and batten siding and a 15X20' post and beam carport. The carport will come first and I'm getting close to having all that lumber cut. None of this things will likely need planing. The Dewalt could handle the siding boards themselves but not sure how it would stand up to the volume.

/ What size boards should I cut on saw mill? #20  
I've got a big pile of 1x1 and 1x2 stickers.

My father-in-law has a basic Dewalt planer that he said I could use but so far no plans for anything more than that at present.

My current (long range) lumber plans are for a stick built shop with 2x6 studs and board and batten siding and a 15X20' post and beam carport. The carport will come first and I'm getting close to having all that lumber cut. None of this things will likely need planing. The Dewalt could handle the siding boards themselves but not sure how it would stand up to the volume.
Sounds like you have a good plan...
FWIW, B&B siding boards can be installed wet/green as long as the battens are nailed in the center so the siding can "move" under them without splitting as the boards shrink...