What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor?

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #21  
I'm upgrading from my 25' PJ deckover bumper pull 14K trailer to a GN with my Ram 2500. I've got a Case IH 55A, with loader/weights/cab/fluid/attachments etc is around 10,500lbs.

With my current 14K deckover, this tractor is really maxing the trailer out. Its not so much the weight of the trailer, its the tongue weight.

Looking to move to GN, but dont know about capacity. I only tow about once or twice a month so its not a heavy use trailer. I'm looking to stay around 25' to keep in and out of my driveway. Any of the 14K-16K GN trailers I see are around 11K capacity, seems to be just barely better than what I have although still more capacity than what I've got.

I've seen some 20-25K trailers that seem to better handle the weight, but the extra empty weight seems to be a concern for not needing the extra capacity?

Would I regret getting a 14-16K trailer or is it always best to step up to a dual wheel 20-25K trailer?

Not clear your problem is the trailer. It could be your hitch or your tow vehicle. With your current setup, unless you have a class V hitch, heaviest duty rating (2-1/2” opening) your are likely over both your hitches tongue weight and gross trailer weight rating.

A GN trailer might solve your hitch weight issues, but could result in putting your tow vehicle over other limits (GVWR, GCVWR, rear axle weight rating, and maximum trailer weight limit).

Several posts here suggest a bigger trailer is better. Only if your tow vehicle can handle them. 14k is near the upper tow limit on your 2500.

Here is a good source of info regarding trailer towing and the various weight limits.

www.curtmfg/towing-capacity

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #22  
Especially for 1-2 times per month. Now if it were going to see daily use that's another thing.
We had a 14K Kaufman at work that got used, often overloaded and abused for 8 years before we upgraded. It is still safe and serviceable. If you're not familiar with the brand, it is a middle of the road trailer quality wise, not a premium brand.
For casual personal use and a 10k load I'd stick with a 14k trailer with excellent quality tires.

I have a 20k trailer but I move my M59 on my 14k trailer close to weekly. The spec weight is 8300 and the tires are loaded that probably adds a ton. In that picture I was also carrying the grapple. My 20k trailer weighs 2500 pounds more than my 14k and its a deckover with steeper ramps. The 14k is all around a more pleasant experience when more capacity isn’t needed. IMG_9144.JPG

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #23  
I have a 20k trailer but I move my M59 on my 14k trailer close to weekly. The spec weight is 8300 and the tires are loaded that probably adds a ton. In that picture I was also carrying the grapple. My 20k trailer weighs 2500 pounds more than my 14k and its a deckover with steeper ramps. The 14k is all around a more pleasant experience when more capacity isn’t needed. View attachment 681193

Do you tow with grapple in bucket, and bucket raised, as in photo?

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #24  
   / What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #25  
Do you tow with grapple in bucket, and bucket raised, as in photo?

I’ve since started putting the bucket on the deck but yea I’ve moved it a few times with the bucket in the air. The M59 rides back heavy and I wasn’t satisfied with the weight distribution with the bucket on the deck. It’s well under legal height, really the worst that could happen is it falls and damages the jack. I probably should’ve strapped the grapple but it’s well situated. Nothing short of a rollover would dislodge it.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #26  
   / What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #27  
We have to strap or chain loaders and buckets down in PA, even if connected to the tractor.
If a mower, backhoe or attachment is on the 3pt or even mounted to the frame, that has to be chained or strapped, too.
I think the most I can overhang anything off the back of the trailer is 3 feet.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #28  
We have to strap or chain loaders and buckets down in PA, even if connected to the tractor.
If a mower, backhoe or attachment is on the 3pt or even mounted to the frame, that has to be chained or strapped, too.
I think the most I can overhang anything off the back of the trailer is 3 feet.

We have to also.......

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #29  
If I towed that rig down the road like that, Id be pulled over, lectured about my privilege and told the grapple bucket could fall out and kill an entire school bus full of children, and fined for improper load management.
2 years ago a local cop pulled me over while pulling out of a customers yard for not having my seat belt on. I wasn’t even out of his driveway and onto the street.
In PA, commercial drivers get an extra heavy fine for no seat belt.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #30