What size Kubota for round bales?

/ What size Kubota for round bales? #31  
Thanks for all of your input and opinions guys.

Looks like there's mixed opinions on whether the MX is big enough to handle 5x5 round bales, some say yes, some no.

Is anyone actually using the Kubota MX when working with round bales?

I use my MX5800 occasionally to move 5X5 rounds for my neighbor when the delivery truck can't make it back into his fields. I use forks, not a bale spear. The MX, with BH92 hoe mounted for ballast, lifts and handles the bales well enough with the load kept 2 feet or so above the ground. Higher than that, the load feels a bit unsteady to me. I will occasionally stack bales 2 high but only on level stable ground.

Keep in mind, I've been operating these CUT tractors for almost 40 years and consider myself a bit on the conservative side. That may be why I've never had an accident. I'm sure there are more experienced operators here who could do this work safely on a regular basis with an MX. I don't do it often enough and my comfort level is not that great.

To repeat my earlier post, if money isn't that great a factor, move up to the M series.

/ What size Kubota for round bales?
I use my MX5800 occasionally to move 5X5 rounds for my neighbor when the delivery truck can't make it back into his fields. I use forks, not a bale spear. The MX, with BH92 hoe mounted for ballast, lifts and handles the bales well enough with the load kept 2 feet or so above the ground. Higher than that, the load feels a bit unsteady to me. I will occasionally stack bales 2 high but only on level stable ground.

Keep in mind, I've been operating these CUT tractors for almost 40 years and consider myself a bit on the conservative side. That may be why I've never had an accident. I'm sure there are more experienced operators here who could do this work safely on a regular basis with an MX. I don't do it often enough and my comfort level is not that great.

To repeat my earlier post, if money isn't that great a factor, move up to the M series.

Thanks.
I too have operated tractors for 40+ years but all have been gear driven. I was hoping to upgrade to a HST tractor big enough to safely handle the bales but that might be wishing for too much.
Since my last post I have looked online at the Kubota M5660. Even though it isn't HST it does have a fully synchronized trans and shuttle which is very similar to my L3600 GST with shuttle. The good thing about the M5660 is it's priced comparably to the MX series.

I went to a nearby Kubota Dealer in York, SC today to check out the M5660SU. Just so happened that there was one on the lot that was to be delivered this week to a customer. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with it.

The tractor itself feels a lot larger than my L3600 when sitting in the seat because well, it is. 55hp compared to my 38hp and over 1000# heavier. The position of the controls were very similar to where mine are located on my L3600, hand/ foot throttle, PTO lever, etc. The instrument panel is simple and uncluttered with everything easy to see.

The 4 speed trans is fully synchronized with a hi & low range and a hydraulic F and R shuttle. The dealer let me take it for a spin around the yard and shifting gears was like shifting a 4 speed vehicle, smooth as silk without the grinding. The shuttle was very smooth when shifting from F to R and vise versa.

I was also impressed with the loader. It's a lot heavier/beefier than my L3600, dump and curl angles are better too. Speed of the loader is head and shoulders above the Ford 4630. The old Ford will only do one thing at a time but the M5660 does it all, raise/curl, lower/dump, etc. and it moves like lightning compared to the 4630.

Overall I really like the M5660SU and it will probably do everything I need to do including handling round bales.

The dealer made me a price that I thought was fair. Loaded R4 tires, loader, bucket, 3rd function...

$32500

I haven't told him to order it yet but hopefully I'll be able to in the next month or so, just in time to fill the barns with hay.

/ What size Kubota for round bales? #34  
Houser that is a really good tractor that will serve you well. I don't have a feel for the price but that seems to be more than fair since that includes the 3rd finction. To get in a M7060 cab you are well into the mid to upper 40's. Good luck and post us some pictures.

/ What size Kubota for round bales? #35  
I went to a nearby Kubota Dealer in York, SC today to check out the M5660SU. Just so happened that there was one on the lot that was to be delivered this week to a customer. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with it.

The tractor itself feels a lot larger than my L3600 when sitting in the seat because well, it is. 55hp compared to my 38hp and over 1000# heavier. The position of the controls were very similar to where mine are located on my L3600, hand/ foot throttle, PTO lever, etc. The instrument panel is simple and uncluttered with everything easy to see.

The 4 speed trans is fully synchronized with a hi & low range and a hydraulic F and R shuttle. The dealer let me take it for a spin around the yard and shifting gears was like shifting a 4 speed vehicle, smooth as silk without the grinding. The shuttle was very smooth when shifting from F to R and vise versa.

I was also impressed with the loader. It's a lot heavier/beefier than my L3600, dump and curl angles are better too. Speed of the loader is head and shoulders above the Ford 4630. The old Ford will only do one thing at a time but the M5660 does it all, raise/curl, lower/dump, etc. and it moves like lightning compared to the 4630.

Overall I really like the M5660SU and it will probably do everything I need to do including handling round bales.

The dealer made me a price that I thought was fair. Loaded R4 tires, loader, bucket, 3rd function...

$32500

I haven't told him to order it yet but hopefully I'll be able to in the next month or so, just in time to fill the barns with hay.

It looks like the M5660 will fill your needs quite well. The price quoted by your dealer is on par with what my dealer quoted me for a similarly optioned 2WD model. From my experience, $32500 for a 4WD model would be an even better price!

I looked at, and would have preferred the M5660 but wound up buying the MX5800 instead mainly because of the HST transmission. I work in tight areas sometimes with a lot of repetitive back and forth work. The HST transmission is a real time saver for me. Since I don't really need the extra weight of the M5660, I opted for the convenience of the MX5800.

In any case, I don't think you can go wrong with the M5660 if you choose to buy.

Thanks guys. I thought his price was pretty good plus he said that he was willing to take the Ford 4630 and the Ford 2000 in on trade. They way he talked, he can sell the 4630 about as fast as he can get it ready to go. He hasn't looked at them yet so I don't know how much he's willing to give me for them.

I really wanted the HST on my next tractor but after learning that the MX series was a little too light for my needs, the heavier M series will be the better choice.

By the way, the quote was for a 4WD

/ What size Kubota for round bales? #37  
Apparently you only need a 30HP Branson.
00D0D_lqLkqnUYJMY_1200x900.jpg

/sarc

/ What size Kubota for round bales? #38  
Thanks guys. I thought his price was pretty good plus he said that he was willing to take the Ford 4630 and the Ford 2000 in on trade. They way he talked, he can sell the 4630 about as fast as he can get it ready to go. He hasn't looked at them yet so I don't know how much he's willing to give me for them.

I really wanted the HST on my next tractor but after learning that the MX series was a little too light for my needs, the heavier M series will be the better choice.

By the way, the quote was for a 4WD

I traded a WM 50 and a 4610 SU in on a t4.75. He will give you a good price on that 4630. My 4610 SU is very desirable but a 4630 is gold. Figure what retail is and calculate what is reasonable profit for your dealer. That's what I did and was satisfied with the offer. If you can swing it keep all of them. I just didn't need all 3 tractors.

I traded a WM 50 and a 4610 SU in on a t4.75. He will give you a good price on that 4630. My 4610 SU is very desirable but a 4630 is gold. Figure what retail is and calculate what is reasonable profit for your dealer. That's what I did and was satisfied with the offer. If you can swing it keep all of them. I just didn't need all 3 tractors.

That's what I'm facing, I just don't need 4 tractors. The 5660 and the 3600 should cover everything that I need to do.

The dealer just wouldn't bite on the 8N. He said that collectors weren't looking for them like they used to and it would just sit there on the lot.

/ What size Kubota for round bales? #40  
Apparently you only need a 30HP Branson.
View attachment 552353

/sarc
LOL, nice 4x4 straw bales they have there...
We have moved 5x4 (4' diameter, 5' long) round bales with a B7500, but it was all that it wanted to do. The L3830 is happier with them.

Aaron Z