What size service wire for new workshop

/ What size service wire for new workshop #31  
You might consider a 14-3 or 12-3 between the house and shop in addition to what ever you do. That way you can have a light circuit out there that you can control at the house or shop with a 3 way switch.

/ What size service wire for new workshop
You might consider a 14-3 or 12-3 between the house and shop in addition to what ever you do. That way you can have a light circuit out there that you can control at the house or shop with a 3 way switch.

Thanks....very good idea ! I will put this on my wiring list.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #33  
Unless you are planning to use that 14-3 to control a contactor (not a bad idea, by the way), you should probably go with 12-3 or bigger. Over a 240' round trip, voltage drop would be minimal for one little light bulb, but you might eventually want to control several larger lights, and maybe the shop coffee pot, from one or two switches at the house.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #34  
Unless you are planning to use that 14-3 to control a contactor (not a bad idea, by the way), you should probably go with 12-3 or bigger. Over a 240' round trip, voltage drop would be minimal for one little light bulb, but you might eventually want to control several larger lights, and maybe the shop coffee pot, from one or two switches at the house.

Coffee pot!!?? That's a new one! I can of like it, but remember you can control a lot of stuff electronically now too.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #35  
I didn't read all the replies but if you already have a 125a SVC at the barn why bother running a new SVC from the house? I would assume the barn is metered seperatley?
If you must run a new line from the house I would run 2/3 URD aluminum and breaker it at 100 amps. Aluminum is cheap, 2/3 should be around $.92'. 2/4 should be around $1.10'. It is direct burial but you can certainly put it in PVC conduit. Michigan code says you will run a ground all the way back to the house panel meaning you would use 2/4 URD aluminum.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #36  
Just get double aught aluminum, service entrance wire (UG rated). Cheaper than even #6 Cu but will easily handle 100 amps at that distance.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #37  
I didn't read all the replies but if you already have a 125a SVC at the barn why bother running a new SVC from the house? I would assume the barn is metered seperatley?
If you must run a new line from the house I would run 2/3 URD aluminum and breaker it at 100 amps. Aluminum is cheap, 2/3 should be around $.92'. 2/4 should be around $1.10'. It is direct burial but you can certainly put it in PVC conduit. Michigan code says you will run a ground all the way back to the house panel meaning you would use 2/4 URD aluminum.
actually urd is not rated for conduit use. Use XHHW instead. Its also cheaper and rated for conduit.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #38  
We just had our power lines moved from over head to underground. We increased our power to the house from 100 to 200 amps and the barn and garage where both changed from 30 to 100 amps each.

We are having an attached two car garage built this month and will run 100 amps from the house to the garage.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #39  
Assuming you are running three insulated wires plus a bare ground ?
Burial depth is a minimum of 18".under a lawn. Deeper under driveways.
Panel at barn should be grounded with at least one ground plate buried as deep as your backhoe will reach.
Panel at barn must have the bond screw between the ground bar and neutral bar backed out in order to isolate them from each other.
A full 125 amp service at the barn with #2 copper or 1/0 aluminum is recommended. Less light dimming every time a motor starts or a weld is struck.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #40  
Interesting. Lots of good advice. I always use aluminum URD. And direct bury it. Only place it goes in conduit is down the meter pole and up inside the building. I get it from my local electric company for about half of what box stores sell it for. 2-2-4(100a) is ~80 cents a foot and 4/0-4/0-2/0 (200a) is $1.50/ft. IF I ever have issues, I have a backhoe so its not hard to repair. But have never had issues, nor heard anyone have issues and there are/were alot of houses in my area serviced with URD direct bury over the last few decades.

As to a 12/2 or something for lights, I would say that is un-necessary. Get with the times. There are devices and Apps for that and would probably cost less than the added wire and switch.:thumbsup: