What size service wire for new workshop

/ What size service wire for new workshop
I have thought about that. I need to contact the electric company and see what the extra cost is.

Perhaps to avoid tripping the breaker in the house? Shorter walk to the barn/shop panelbox than to the house one.

Aaron Z

Correct !

One important thing you didn't tell us is are you planning on running copper or alum. wire ????

Wire Size Calculator

I am putting this underground in 2.5 conduit. If i go this route it will be #4 copper XHHW wire. Will buy a 500' roll... 75 cents a foot.

Great input everyone ! I will add a extra line of conduit when i dig the trench for future expansion if needed. I wouldn't be running the high load equipment all at the same time. Its what i currently have in a existing woodshop and no breaker trips in 15 years, but the run is only 50 ft from the house box. I don't care to use aluminum wire and wire calculations show #4 awg is fine. I really am leaning though to just getting a separate meter installed to the barn to allow for ( what everyone here has said ) future expansion !!

Thanks

Chuck

/ What size service wire for new workshop #15  
Don't be scared to use aluminum feeders conductors. Use the proper paste and you'll be fine. As an electrician I just have started quoting aluminum as it seems everyone else has gone that way. The saving can be as much as %75 depending on the size and type.

Don't be scared to use aluminum feeders conductors. Use the proper paste and you'll be fine. As an electrician I just have started quoting aluminum as it seems everyone else has gone that way. The saving can be as much as %75 depending on the size and type.

The 500 ft. roll of #4 xhhw is $380. I can get it locally here at Wire and Cable to Go company. You're right...i am not fond of using aluminum !! I always have error-ed on the plus side when dealing with electricity.....

/ What size service wire for new workshop #17  
Why a 50 amp in the burn and 60 at house. Should be the same size.

Not by code here in Indiana. All sub panels must have a breaker 10 amps smaller so it trips at the sub 1st.

Chris

/ What size service wire for new workshop #18  
Voice of experience.... Save yourself the time and expense of doing it over later. Pull bigger wire now. I would pull enough to make a 200A subpanel, even if you don't use it to the fullest right now. Your power needs will only grow with time. Pull 2/0 copper or the alum equivalent (looks like 250 mcm, but don't quote me on that...).Later on you may find that you need more and want to upgrade your house service to accommodate that. If you pull big wire now, you will make your life easier later. If you (seriously) believe that you will not live here for the long term, then you will probably just want to do what you suggested.

My $0.02

I agree also. I did a 100 amp service to my barn. I now wish I had 200 amp after adding AC to my shop and a 30 amp Electric Water Heater and a 30 amp RV plug to the exterior.

All things I never invisioned while building 13 years ago.

Chris

/ What size service wire for new workshop #19  
Not by code here in Indiana. All sub panels must have a breaker 10 amps smaller so it trips at the sub 1st.

Chris

That's odd. With this good practice, which it may be, you undersizing one breaker or Oversizing the other.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #20  
When I opened my trench for the second time I added 2 extra conduits.

Best thing I did was pull a 5/8" air hose 100' back from the shop to the house. I then put a air hose reel in the garage and one in the utility room. Nothing like having shop air avaliable without dealing with a compressor and it's noise.

Chris