What size tractor can we get by with?

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #11  
BIG mistake not considering a hydrostatic,, especially for your type work.
i have both,,
I let my novice son-in-law use the hydrostatic anytime he wants it,,
The pic is his first ever attempt at using a landscape rake, after an excavator took out a bunch of trees,,

G7o2eB2.jpg

BUT,,
he NEVER gets near my gear drives.

Hydro is just so much easier to do work with,,

You will have fewer mechanical failures if you have a hydro,,
especially if you use a loader,,
Loaders are hard on gear drive tractors.
So true. I’ve had several dealers tell me that they do far more tractor split clutch replacements than HST repairs.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #12  
The B8200 is a good tractor, and it ought to be pretty much new after that kind of expense. if it runs OK, I'd be for replacing the hydraulic pump and trans/hydraulic fluid. That's an easy afternoon's work and about $400 for the pump and $300 for the fluid and another hundred for filters... Then see what you have.

At this point you would be betting another thousand bucks against $30,000 new. That's a bet I'd take.
But I'd do the work yourself. Or change mechanics.
rScotty
I'm in agreement here. The tractor as it sits is not worth much. Fix it and it may be a good fit for you. I think the do it yourself, or change mechanics idea may be the way to go.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #13  
I bought the HST which is insanely better for loader work.
Not really. I find a hydraulic shuttle to be a much better alternative myself. All the advantages and simplicity of a gear drive and no dry clutch to wear out plus instant forward and reverse.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #14  
Saying you are going to work one acre at a time doesn’t tell the whole picture.

How many total acres is your place?

This will tell what size implements you may need.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #15  
There is no way for water to get into the hydraulic fluid unless it set outside uncovered for years and the fluid was never changed during all that maintenance..... which is not likely given $6000 worth of work.

The B8200 is a good tractor, and it ought to be pretty much new after that kind of expense. if it runs OK, I'd be for replacing the hydraulic pump and trans/hydraulic fluid. That's an easy afternoon's work and about $400 for the pump and $300 for the fluid and another hundred for filters... Then see what you have.

At this point you would be betting another thousand bucks against $30,000 new. That's a bet I'd take.
But I'd do the work yourself. Or change mechanics.
rScotty
So, If it's similar to my L285; 100% Can and Will get water in hydralic around the shift lever if left out in rain. What this leads too; is you end up with an emulsion-slime build up in the transmission. Then, slowly (or not so slowly) as the trans warms up, it gets loose and stuck in the very fine mesh of the hydralic filter. You clean the filter, but it (very slimy), but there is a ton of emulsion-slime still in reservoir. Then you randomly have to clean again and again. Each time, avoiding getting air in the hydralic lines or letting air out, under pressure (not really that safe, and not much fun).

Edit: not trying to speak for our OP, but I Think their issue, is, they want/need a Reliable tractor, that works when they hit the key, they want their hobby/side hustle/profession to be working With the tractor not On the tractor. Very similar to when I finally upgraded in June. I got $2000 for my used L285, being honest with buyer, only attachment was a homemade middle buster plow; and I used that $2k to cover all the down payments on the brand new Ck2610 HST, which I only regret when I make a payment. (it's not even that bad, but I do feel a bit guilty making the payment, and only putting 10 hours/month on it)

Last edited:
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #16  
Saying you are going to work one acre at a time doesn’t tell the whole picture.

How many total acres is your place?

This will tell what size implements you may need.
Not really. I find a hydraulic shuttle to be a much better alternative myself. All the advantages and simplicity of a gear drive and no dry clutch to wear out plus instant forward and reverse.
Agee, but only problem (or maybe not a problem for our OP); the cheapest, smallest, power shuttle, that I'm aware off, with a loader, is approx $37,000 MF1840M. Maybe I'm missing a more budget machine, maybe our OP has that money, But, based on what they said, I would Certainly test one out I'd the budget makes sense.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #17  
Another question how big of a frame will work in your sheep barn. May be a real limiting factor. I kept my BX for those tight spaces the much bigger LS is not useful.
^ This right here. I've got 10 acres with a lot of tight spaces, a very good bit of uneven ground and do a good bit of loader work with my bx. Over the last 10 years I've had many occasions where I've day dreamed about having a larger tractor.

Hoever, the reality is that I also have to work in a lot of tight spaces that would preclude something like a big B or small L. Also, the low center of gravity of the Bx in combination with filled tires and an appropriate ballast has been a godsend for the slope changes on my property.... even in the woods. I can slip through and navigate a lot areas of the wooded section of my land, where with a bigger tractor I would have to be cutting trails.

Were I in you situation I would:

- Try to figure out what size you can comfortable maneuver in the sheep barn
- Consider dealers within transport distance (with an eye for good maintenance support)
- And then start comparing the heaviest tractors and most capable brand/model tractors for your needs that fit within the above criteria.

* I a pretty big fan of Kubota... HOWEVER, there are at least a couple other brands (Branson & cousin brands, Kioti, etc) that put out comparatively heavier & potentially more capable tractors in the sub-compact/compact classes.

Also, as an FYI, while I don't run an offset blade I do own and heavily use an Everything Attachments offset rock rake that weighs ~ 450lbs with the concrete ballast I've added. It gets pressed in service pretty often for grading clay soils and also re-grading ~600' hundred feet of gravel driveway. It's not a perfect solution with my Bx, but the combination is surprisingly capable..... point being, don't get too hung up on size as a measure of power/capability. Weight to hp ratio is probably a better measure of capability in terms of ground engagement and/or manure+bedding scraping ability.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #18  
Although I have an LS, I would be looking at the TYM machines. They seem to be well built, have good specs, and decent pricing. I had a look at their 2515 and liked it.

Like others have said, the hydrostatic would be my choice.

BTW, like you, I got tired of spending money fixing a "beater" tractor I got cheap. Unless you can work on them yourself, it gets expensive, and on most of the older machines, parts can be difficult to get and pricey.

You will be amazed at how much more capable a larger machine is and also safer.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #19  
Buy the cheapest used geared tractor you can find that will run the implements you want. Doesn't matter what you choose. When it dies buy another one. Park the old one on your front lawn.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #20  
The two omissions that absolutely trash tractor resale values are a traditional clutch and gear transmission and the omission of a Loader.
unless the tractor is M series. but yes, agree trash is trash in a tractor, regards