What size tractor can we get by with?

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #31  
First, get the B8200 flushed and fixed enough to where you can honestly sell it.

For the replacement, I vote for a Power Reverser or power shuttle. The heavier the work you intend the less you want an HST in my opinion. HSTs make great lawn mowers. If you do go HST, the Kubota B2710 is a nice size 27 hp and probably do all you seem to need. The B2910 is 30 hp and similar but they will lack hydraulic remotes and those are not cheap to add. Used, you should be able to find them for FAR LESS than the $20K-$30K people have been mentioning. I had a JD 4800 with loader and Power Reverser which I loved 22 years ago when I bought it (still in the family with NEVER a major repair needed.) Super but maybe too big for you? One of the Deeres with Power Reverser and not too high hours would be excellent. You do need something with at least one, better yet two, RCV for hydraulics and what you propose doing. Very few smaller tractors are going to have 2 RCVs. My specs list suggested for you is:
  • 26 to 30 hp, non-regen, used tractor
  • with FEL
  • power shuttle trans
  • 2 hydraulic remotes (or one and a confirmed price for adding another)
  • as low hours as you can find

Last edited:
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #32  
I've never had water in my gearbox but then I make sure any place it might get in is secure. Prime culprit is the main shift boot. I've replaced mine before on the open station. 5030

yes. as a small detail, i tightly zip tie the boot around the gear shift shaft as well. a 5 gal bucket over the shifter assembly when exposed also helps.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #33  
One thing I haven't seen mentioned; compare PTO or drawbar PTO on the old vs new machines. I dont think you will notice the HP, till you say 20% higher. Without doing the search for you, that B probably has 16 pto hp. Lot of the 25hp HSTs only have 18-19 pto HP. If your going to upgrade, I would look at 24+ PTO Hp, which is likely the 30-35 engine HP range.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #34  
someone should post a survey thread: how many of you wished you had gone larger in your last tractor purchase? being a compact tractor forum, bet there's a lot. regards

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #35  
someone should post a survey thread: how many of you wished you had gone larger in your last tractor purchase? being a compact tractor forum, bet there's a lot. regards
Not sure, if I could not have kept my BX I would be hating my LS. Since I do have the little guy to get stuff into and out of tight spots I love having a big brother with the grunt.
Too big could mean redoing sheds, animal pens, gates, fences, barns, garden, trails, etc.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #36  
I would have liked to be in the 40-45hp range, not for a current need, but for the ability to do more in future. My Ck2610 does what I need, But its not future proof. Budget is always a huge factor. If money wasn't an issue, I would have gotten larger, or atleast more HP. I moved for a 27.5 pto hp 1976 Kubota to a 19 pto Kioti. That HP drop concerned me, but it hasn't been a limitation so far.

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #37  
to be honest, when i got the K fever after 28 yrs of Massey TO35, i upgraded new machine purchases several times before my current machine...ouch, my bad. finally found the ideal machine before Tier4 came around.
hint: a test drive around the dealer's lot (while they lick their chops) is a poor way to approximate your own applications in the field. best regards,

/ What size tractor can we get by with? #38  
How wide / tall can you go and still clean out your barn?

I'd get the biggest one that will fit.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / What size tractor can we get by with? #39  
modify the barn entrance if needed, choose the tractor size to fit your current & future needs
don't box yourself in for the future, best regards

Last edited:
   / What size tractor can we get by with?
BIG mistake not considering a hydrostatic,, especially for your type work.
i have both,,
I let my novice son-in-law use the hydrostatic anytime he wants it,,
The pic is his first ever attempt at using a landscape rake, after an excavator took out a bunch of trees,,

G7o2eB2.jpg

BUT,,
he NEVER gets near my gear drives.

Hydro is just so much easier to do work with,,

You will have fewer mechanical failures if you have a hydro,,
especially if you use a loader,,
Loaders are hard on gear drive tractors.
Interesting…will have to research more. I just despise CVT transmission in cars and the hydrostatic drive was the first thing to go on my lawn tractor. The dealer told us that the geared drive we are already used is better for pushing snow…but admittedly he did say everyone buys the hydrostatic drive. I figured it was because farmers have been gentrified out of out of our area and the rich who’ve moved in barely dont know how to shift gears. :)