What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer?

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #11  
Typically, any 2-axle trailer is 2 5/6 ball for safety reasons.

That is not my experience, at all.

It’s about the weight, not the length or type of trailer, per se. I change all of my bumper pull 2” couplers to 2 5/16”, for extra capability and ease of not changing the ball (even though I just have to flip it over).

I use a Gen-Y that has a 2 5/16” on one side and a 2”, on the other. I can also pull a pintle or a 1 7/8”, with it, after minor adjustments.
My 2 5/16” is rated at 16k and the 2” is rated at 12k.

ABA34CB4-168C-492C-A83C-F47B90F13E99.jpeg

6908EDA2-32E0-4E1D-8A42-BD2067687116.jpeg

743493AC-A4D7-45E9-8E0A-C7A333A76C60.jpeg

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #12  
   / What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #13  
Mine either. I hardly ever see trailers below 10,000 pounds with 2-5/16 balls.

From what I’ve seen, by manufacturers, 10k seems to be where the 2 5/16” starts being used, but I still see 2” on 10k trailers. Most, if not all of the sub-10k trailers I’ve seen, with 2 5/16” couplers are because they were option added or after-sale added.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #14  
The little aluminum trailer I rented from Tractor Supply to get my Bad Boy Maverick home had a 2 5/16 ball. I had to change mine out because I thought, for sure, it would be a 2". Luckily, I keep both with the truck. It was a single axle and had the drop-down ramp. I know it wasn't over a 10k trailer. The hitch will be whatever the trailer manufacturer puts on it. Don't assume anything! :oops:

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #15  
I like 3 in 1 for just this occasion...

I did change out all my 1-3/4 and 1-7/8 to 2 inch for simplicity...

Still have a small utility I use with Suzuki with 1-7/8.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #16  
Hitch ball size depends on trailer GVW and how easy the trailer manufacturer wanted to make your life.

Apparently there's quite a range of weights supported by 2" balls, but I've only commonly seen 2" hitches rated for up to 6k and only rarely have seen 8k. There's no way to tell for sure without looking at the trailer.
Checked a couple of the websites for my local farm stores. And not a single 2 inch balled rated for over 8K unless part of a larger assembly, with several in the 6K range and more than a few in the 3.5K size. There are a lot of 2 axle 7K rated trailers being towed with 5K or less rated balls.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #17  
Checked a couple of the websites for my local farm stores. And not a single 2 inch balled rated for over 8K unless part of a larger assembly, with several in the 6K range and more than a few in the 3.5K size. There are a lot of 2 axle 7K rated trailers being towed with 5K or less rated balls.
The 7K “rated” LoadTrail I owned with 3500# axles and appropriate tires was manufactured with a 2” 5000lb coupler.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #18  
@RickB I am sure your isn't the only trailer that came out of the factory with a hitch rated for less than the trailer rating. and most of those didn't come with brakes either, so in some cases can't be licensed for over 3K.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #19  
Neighbor rented a Bobcat with grapple and heavy bucket...

Trailer from rental 9980 tagged...

Neighbor was using a 5k two inch ball.

He said that were busy so he just hooked up and left...

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #20  
@RickB I am sure your isn't the only trailer that came out of the factory with a hitch rated for less than the trailer rating. and most of those didn't come with brakes either, so in some cases can't be licensed for over 3K.
Yeah, well this one had brakes on both axles, was plated for 7K and I routinely hauled 5500 lbs on it. Never gave it a second thought.
Only mentioned as a response to the experts here.