What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #121  
I would think most here know the difference between a little slippage and sliding sideways off their parking area.
Or not being able to go with a blade full of snow because the tires are spinning
If you're sliding sideways off the parking area, your tires are old, suck, and you need new ones...preferably a different mfg than you have on now. Try the ones that my tractor comes with, they rock.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #122  
If you're sliding sideways off the parking area, your tires are old, suck, and you need new ones...preferably a different mfg than you have on now. Try the ones that my tractor comes with, they rock.
Or simply throw my chains on through the winter (like I have been for years) and push all the snow I want without a traction issue

Attachments

• HPIM1352.JPG
    HPIM1352.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 118

Last edited:
   / What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #123  
Look on sidewall of tire
If you do a lot of loader work, err on the max inflation on the sidewall, if not take it down a few clicks so it dont beat you to death
Your loader manual may state the same...run a higher pressure in the front tires.
I almost rolled a front tire off the rim when carrying (and making a turn) when I had my 790...won't make that mistake again!

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
It really depends on your usage...
Ag work, R1's are the best choice
In the woods, I'd go with R4 tires since they're more resistant to punctures

My personal work is mowing a field that I'm very familiar with and snow blowing my drive and other paved areas. I like R3 turfs for this work, but I'm considering R14's (if they can be mounted on my rims)
What I'd love is Nokian snow tires because they look so cool...but that's a $4K-$5K proposition and "cool" ain't worth that much!

BTW, R3 tires are much better then R4's in snowy conditions...have had experience with both.
I don't use chains...don't need 'em
That's why I went to get R4s, but they put the ones that came in on a tractor they just got for a customer. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper....

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #125  
Or simply throw my chains on through the winter (like I have been for years) and push all the snow I want without a traction issue

Attachments

• HPIM1352.JPG
    HPIM1352.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 118
That is true. You could have bald golf course turfs and once the chains are on, you are good to go.
I cant because of field work being done and roading hay bales, etc.

But, if its just a tire, with no chains, R-1 wins the traction wars (and the lawn damage wars :) )

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #126  
I agree with those who say R-1's will provide superior traction. They will also do a number at tearing up soggy ground - open field or your lawn. You CAN go beyond R-1's if need be - think tracks.
Stay off the ground if it is that wet.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
Get the ones that suit your purpose.
The thing is, I can't get near the house unless I have turf tires. So looks like will have to get those, and switch as needed...

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #128  
The thing is, I can't get near the house unless I have turf tires. So looks like will have to get those, and switch as needed...
Get the turfs and a set of chains for them. You'll go just about anywhere you want w that combo.
The only problem some see w turfs is the ply amount.
Most are 4 ply but there are some w 6.
This is only applicable if you plan to bring your machine into wooded terrain.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #129  
Can't figure out why we have lawns other than to drive on them. Play on them if you're younger and all. Gotta be able to drive the tractor across the lawn. That's one of the reasons for having lawns.
I use the lawn mower for the lawn, not my tractor.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #130  
R4 to look cool and if most of your work is on concrete.
R1 if you want to avoid getting stuck.
Turf if you do work on manicured grass or on concrete.
I do no work at all on concrete and have had R4s on my tractors for over 20 years. I don’t work in the mud and the only time I’ve had winter issues is when the snowpack is very icy.