What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #71  
R4s are all right on flat ground, but junk and highly dangerous on a slope, they will slide sideways, then bite for a couple seconds and tip the tractor up, I use turf, the old saying get what you pay for, turfs can be had in six ply, less chance of going flat from abrasion or nail, they bite better on a slope, on flat ground anything will work with tread
I like my turfs too; so far very good for mowing steep hills. Have had a leak or two on the fronts...think I'll check out the six-ply turfs when the time comes.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #72  
Already sank it down in the black sank and it went to tilt over, so had to pull it out with the JD, to say nothing of hitting the dips on the road. So yes, you can tip it over...
you got your kubota stuck in the asphalt? i Dont understand what you mean by "Already Sank It down in the black sank"

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #73  
I just got done 4 days straight of driving over logs and stumps with R1’s carry logs and brush in my grapple.
No sidewall damage, no flats.
They make heavier R1’s for that type of work you know?

View attachment 732555

Heres actual log skidder tractor photos
These look a heck of a lot more like R-1s than R-4s

View attachment 732559

View attachment 732558

R-4s are great for use on pavement and compacted soils. R-1 s will do anything R-4s will except last as long on hard surfaces.
Conversely, R-4s will not do nearly as many tasks as well as R-1s.

For the average small tractor and hobbyist not going into deep mud or deep snow, R-4s are fine.
However, I can’t understand why anyone would want a tractor, being used for it’s true intent, which is traction, not having R-1’s. They enhance the tractors traction and utilize more of its pulling power. They sort of give you more drawbar HP which is what you want for pulling or pushing things
I’m not going to argue with your points, but I do want to point out that I’ve seen many, many log skidders and feller bunchers around here with R4 tires. They prefer them on rocky ground. Not all of the ground here is rocky, but there is enough that loggers prefer the R4 for when they have to work in that ground. Yes, I do also see the R4s with chains in the snow.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
you got your kubota stuck in the asphalt? i Dont understand what you mean by "Already Sank It down in the black sank"
Black sand, my bad. It is like quicksand without the water. Till you hit it, you cannot imagine how fast you can go down. The trucks building my house sank in it and they had nothing that could get close enough to pull them out. They had to use a tow for 18 wheelers and run the cable all the way out to the trucks and pull.....

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #75  
I love the Turf tires on my JD 790, but it seems they tend to pick up any nail or sharp object and puncture constantly. Thus when I got my L3301 I was ok to see R1 tires, but after almost tipping over just hitting bumps on the road, I am looking at the R4. What should you look for in a new tractor to start with or does it matter.

I've had R3 and R4. I will never buy anything else except R3s ever again.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #76  
Due to supply issues, I went with the R14s that came on the Kubota B2601. Absolutely NO tire problems on R4s since 2013. Had LOTS of front R3 turf problems on the 4010 but think the replacement, higher ply ones were probably better. Never had any problems but didn't have it long after putting the higher ply ones on. LOTS more side grip with the R3s. Forward/reverse grip seemed a tad better on R4s.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
   / What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #78  
   / What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #79  
I’m not going to argue with your points, but I do want to point out that I’ve seen many, many log skidders and feller bunchers around here with R4 tires. They prefer them on rocky ground. Not all of the ground here is rocky, but there is enough that loggers prefer the R4 for when they have to work in that ground. Yes, I do also see the R4s with chains in the snow.
I can see that on rocky ground. Theres not much of a traction issue.
I’d venture to bet a large majority of log skidders run on R-1s though.

R-1 traction is unmatched. It utilizes your tractors available horsepower so much better.
I had a neighbor who hired a tree company to remove a bunch of trees. Got chipper truck stuck. Tried to pull it out with 4x4 utility tractor on R-4s and almost sank the tractor. I was able to walk them out on R-1s easily. The difference is amazing on soft ground or deep snow.
Never forget the thankful tree company owner saying something like “those 4” angled paddles on your AG tires make all the difference in the world”

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #80  
My first year with R-3/Turfs after 20 years with R-4s and I am impressed with the traction and handling on snow roadways. So far no need to install chains but Im sure at some point a need could arise. I would caution venturing into wooded areas or mud however. Im mostly pasture, lawn and gravel road usage.