Buying Advice What to buy for remote Alaska property

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #11  
If I were doing that, I'm not and more power to ya for doing it, I'd probably be looking at a track loader. All I've seen include and enclosed cab and they are more of a pure hydraulic machine including the drive train. More dollars though but likely more suitable for what your needs are. ASV-3-Machines.jpg
Since they use skid steer mounts on the front you can do lots of different tasks with them. Likely much better mobility through the seasons than with a CUT.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property
After reading your post I'd think about a compact telehandler. Tractors with cabs and big rear tires have a really high center of gravity and from my experience are very unstable on uneven ground. It doesn't sound like you are going to be doing much tractor type of work as far as pulling implements or mowing large areas anyway. Telehandler has a much lower center of gravity and 4 wheel steering make them much more maneuverable. The best part is that they will run skid steer implements so there are endless possibilities.

I've eyed the Bobcat models and drooled. Would certainly be a big help in raising a timberframe bent.

How does he get it there?

That's a huge question mark for me. I'll be grooming my trail over the next few weeks and once it sets it's fairly strong. I just doubt that it could bear a heavy piece of equipment without busting through. A 4WD unit with chains should be able to manage but I have no experience in this realm.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #14  
How does he get it there?

He went over the options in the OP. I'd rather take the time and trouble to get a real piece of equipment to use as opposed to limiting myself with a 35 hp tractor. I owned a 45 HP Bobcat/Kioti and although nice it was a toy and really limited on what it could do, especially in the woods with a cab and no protection for the operator or machine. I've also owned a 550 JCB loadall and that thing was an absolute beast. Look at XFaxmans posts with his versahandler. It is amazing what that will do.

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #15  
If I were doing that, I'm not and more power to ya for doing it, I'd probably be looking at a track loader. All I've seen include and enclosed cab and they are more of a pure hydraulic machine including the drive train. More dollars though but likely more suitable for what your needs are. View attachment 491409
Since they use skid steer mounts on the front you can do lots of different tasks with them. Likely much better mobility through the seasons than with a CUT.

Another great choice for this application IMO.

Here's a view of the lake from about where the cabin will go. The property extends down to the lake.
mGTa4QN.jpg

This is how we haul in materials in the winter. The snowmachine in back is hauling a canoe as well as some barrels. Barrels will be floats for the dock.
qGm6p8P.jpg

Here is current cabin design:
SS9QaO5.png

We've got a Weatherport up as a make-do cabin for now.
20160314_Voila_zpsqygccize.jpg

/ What to buy for remote Alaska property #17  
He went over the options in the OP. I'd rather take the time and trouble to get a real piece of equipment to use as opposed to limiting myself with a 35 hp tractor. I owned a 45 HP Bobcat/Kioti and although nice it was a toy and really limited on what it could do, especially in the woods with a cab and no protection for the operator or machine.

Agree with this completely...

Compact track loader. You don't need a tractor.